Veritas NetBackup™ for Hyper-V Administrator's Guide
- Notes and prerequisites
- Configure NetBackup communication with Hyper-V
- Configure NetBackup policies for Hyper-V
- Backup options on the Hyper-V tab
- Hyper-V - Advanced Attributes
- Browse for Hyper-V virtual machines
- Configure Hyper-V Intelligent Policies
- NetBackup Hyper-V for SCVMM
- Windows Server failover cluster support
- Virtual machine maintenance after a restore
- Back up and restore Hyper-V
- Restoring individual files to a shared location on the virtual machine
- Use Accelerator to back up Hyper-V
- Best practices and more information
- NetBackup logs for Hyper-V and how to create them
- Errors during policy creation
- NetBackup status codes related to Hyper-V
- Appendix A. VSS backup method: Hyper-V online and offline backups
- Appendix B. Hyper-V pass-through disks
- Appendix C. NetBackup commands to back up and restore Hyper-V virtual machines
- Examples of nbrestorevm for restoring VMs to Hyper-V
Creating a Hyper-V policy from the NetBackup Policies utility
Before you configure a policy, make sure that the Hyper-V server is online. NetBackup must be able to communicate with the Hyper-V server.
Use the following procedure to create a policy to back up the Hyper-V virtual machines that you select manually.
To create a policy that selects virtual machines automatically:
To create a Hyper-V policy through manual selection of virtual machines
- In the NetBackup Administration Console, click Policies and click Actions > New > Policy.
- Select Hyper-V as the policy type.
- Select a policy storage unit or storage unit group (or Any Available).
- In most cases, you can leave the Disable client-side deduplication option at the default (unchecked).
The Disable client-side deduplication option is described in the NetBackup Administrator's Guide, Volume I.
- Use the Schedules tab to define a schedule.
For the VSS backup method on the Hyper-V tab, incremental backups require selection of the Enable file recovery from VM backup option.
- Use the Hyper-V tab to set Hyper-V options.
The following backup methods are available:
For Hyper-V hosts running Windows Server 2008 SP2 or later (including Windows Server 2016). Select this method for older Hyper-V hosts. This method does not support block-level incremental backups or Accelerator.
A new backup method in NetBackup 8.0 and later that enables the faster Hyper-V backup features. This method is for Hyper-V hosts running Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 5 or later. The virtual machines must be at a VM configuration version later than 5.
This WMI method is recommended for Windows Server 2016 or later and is required for block-level incremental backups and Accelerator.
For the options on this dialog, further information is available:
The available options depend on the backup method that is selected, as follows.
Hyper-V Host 2008 SP2 or later (VSS):
Hyper-V Host 2016 or later (WMI):
- Click the Clients tab.
- On the Clients tab: select the Server Type.
This option designates the type of environment in which NetBackup searches for the VMs to back up.
A standalone Hyper-V server or cluster.
System Center Virtual Machine Manager
An SCVMM server that manages Hyper-V servers or clusters.
This procedure uses the Hyper-V Standalone/Cluster option only. For assistance with the System Center Virtual Machine Manager option:
- On the Clients tab: For Server Name, enter the name of the Hyper-V server or cluster. This host must contain a NetBackup client to perform backups of the virtual machines.
Important: IPv6 addresses are not supported for Server Name. Use fully qualified domain names (FQDN) or host names instead.
On the Clients tab: Select the virtual machines to back up.
To manually select the virtual machines to back up, click Select manually then click New....
To set up the rules that select virtual machines automatically, click the Select automatically through Hyper-V Intelligent Policy query option. This option is required for VMs that an SCVMM server manages.
Automatic selection of virtual machines is explained in different topics:
- The virtual machines you selected appear in the Clients tab.
For manual selection of virtual machines: In the Browse for Virtual Machines dialog, do the following:
Under Enter the VM display name, type the name of the virtual machine to back up.
Or, click Browse for Virtual Machines, and click the appropriate check boxes to select the virtual machines to back up.
If NetBackup cannot obtain the IP address of the virtual machine, the IP address is displayed as NONE.
More information is available on these fields:
The Backup Selections tab is set to ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES. Individual drives cannot be specified.
- Click OK to save the policy.
A validation process examines the policy and reports any errors. If you click Cancel, no validation is performed.