Veritas NetBackup™ for Hyper-V Administrator's Guide
- Notes and prerequisites
- Configure NetBackup communication with Hyper-V
- Configure NetBackup policies for Hyper-V
- Backup options on the Hyper-V tab
- Hyper-V - Advanced Attributes
- Browse for Hyper-V virtual machines
- Configure Hyper-V Intelligent Policies
- NetBackup Hyper-V for SCVMM
- Windows Server failover cluster support
- Virtual machine maintenance after a restore
- Back up and restore Hyper-V
- Restoring individual files to a shared location on the virtual machine
- Use Accelerator to back up Hyper-V
- Best practices and more information
- NetBackup logs for Hyper-V and how to create them
- Errors during policy creation
- NetBackup status codes related to Hyper-V
- Appendix A. VSS backup method: Hyper-V online and offline backups
- Appendix B. Hyper-V pass-through disks
- Appendix C. NetBackup commands to back up and restore Hyper-V virtual machines
- Examples of nbrestorevm for restoring VMs to Hyper-V
Effect of Primary VM identifier parameter on Selection column in Test Query results
The NetBackup policy's Primary VM identifier parameter tells NetBackup how to identify virtual machines. For example, if the parameter is set to VM hostname, NetBackup identifies virtual machines by their host names. If they do not have a host name, the policy cannot back them up.
The Primary VM identifier parameter has a direct effect on the query test results. Note that for each virtual machine, the query test result is one of three possibilities: INCLUDED, EXCLUDED, or FAILED.
If NetBackup cannot identify a virtual machine according to the Primary VM identifier parameter, one of two test results can occur:
If the virtual machine is filtered out by the query rules, it is listed as EXCLUDED.
If the virtual machine is not filtered out by the query rules, it is listed as FAILED.
The following table gives the test query results from example combinations of the Primary VM identifier parameter and a query rule.
Table: Effect of Primary VM identifier parameter and query rules on test query results
Primary VM identifier setting on Hyper-V policy tab
Query rule in Query Builder
Test query result
Displayname Contains "VM"
INCLUDED: Any virtual machines that have a host name and that have a display name that contains "VM".
EXCLUDED: Any virtual machines that do not have a display name that contains "VM".
FAILED: Any virtual machines that have a display name that contains "VM" but that do not have a host name. Since the Primary VM identifier parameter is set to VM hostname, NetBackup cannot select the virtual machine for backup.
VM display name
Displayname Contains "VM"
INCLUDED: Any virtual machines with the display names that contain "VM". Since the Primary VM identifier parameter tells NetBackup to select the virtual machine by display name, it can back up the virtual machines.
EXCLUDED: All other virtual machines.