Veritas NetBackup™ for Hyper-V Administrator's Guide
- Notes and prerequisites
- Configure NetBackup communication with Hyper-V
- Configure NetBackup policies for Hyper-V
- Backup options on the Hyper-V tab
- Hyper-V - Advanced Attributes
- Browse for Hyper-V virtual machines
- Configure Hyper-V Intelligent Policies
- NetBackup Hyper-V for SCVMM
- Windows Server failover cluster support
- Virtual machine maintenance after a restore
- Back up and restore Hyper-V
- Restoring individual files to a shared location on the virtual machine
- Use Accelerator to back up Hyper-V
- Best practices and more information
- NetBackup logs for Hyper-V and how to create them
- Errors during policy creation
- NetBackup status codes related to Hyper-V
- Appendix A. VSS backup method: Hyper-V online and offline backups
- Appendix B. Hyper-V pass-through disks
- Appendix C. NetBackup commands to back up and restore Hyper-V virtual machines
- Examples of nbrestorevm for restoring VMs to Hyper-V
Problems with restore of individual files
When you restore individual files (not the entire virtual machine), the restore may fail in certain cases. The following table describes the problems and recommended actions for the restore of individual files.
Table: Problems with restore of individual files
Cause of the problem
Description and recommended action
Files are selected from multiple drives (volumes) on the virtual machine.
For example: The original virtual machine had two drives (C:\ and D:\), and files from each drive are selected in the same restore operation. Messages similar to the following appear in the job progress log:
13:26:05 (86.001) (86.001) INF - Skipping to next file header... 13:26:05 (86.001) (86.001) INF - TAR EXITING WITH STATUS = 0 13:26:05 (86.001) (86.001) INF - TAR RESTORED 11368 OF 11463 FILES SUCCESSFULLY 13:26:05 (86.001) (86.001) INF - TAR KEPT 0 EXISTING FILES 13:26:05 (86.001) (86.001) INF - TAR PARTIALLY RESTORED 0 FILES 13:26:15 (86.001) Status of restore from image created 7/21/2008 2:55:05 PM = the requested operation was partially successful
Select files from a single drive at a time. Selecting files from multiple drives is not supported.
You have attempted to restore the files into a mapped drive on the virtual machine. The restore fails with NetBackup status code 185.
Restore the files by means of a shared location on the virtual machine (with a UNC path) rather than by means of a mapped drive.
The snapshot contains invalid inodes.
Windows Hyper-V provides no mechanism for quiescing file system activity on Linux virtual machines. As a result, invalid inodes may be present in the snapshot. A backup that was made with the NetBackup Administration Console in this form:option may have file-mapping failures if the virtual machine experiences heavy I/O. The failures are reported in the
ERR - Unable to read metadata for index: 379023, VFM error = 6.
Note that the backup succeeds, but any files with metadata errors cannot be restored individually.
For the backups that enable individual restore of all files, schedule the backup when the I/O activity is lower. If metadata errors persist, shut down the virtual machine during the backup.