Veritas NetBackup™ for Hyper-V Administrator's Guide
- Notes and prerequisites
- Configure NetBackup communication with Hyper-V
- Configure NetBackup policies for Hyper-V
- Backup options on the Hyper-V tab
- Hyper-V - Advanced Attributes
- Browse for Hyper-V virtual machines
- Configure Hyper-V Intelligent Policies
- NetBackup Hyper-V for SCVMM
- Windows Server failover cluster support
- Virtual machine maintenance after a restore
- Back up and restore Hyper-V
- Restoring individual files to a shared location on the virtual machine
- Use Accelerator to back up Hyper-V
- Best practices and more information
- NetBackup logs for Hyper-V and how to create them
- Errors during policy creation
- NetBackup status codes related to Hyper-V
- Appendix A. VSS backup method: Hyper-V online and offline backups
- Appendix B. Hyper-V pass-through disks
- Appendix C. NetBackup commands to back up and restore Hyper-V virtual machines
- Examples of nbrestorevm for restoring VMs to Hyper-V
Configuring an alternate client backup of Hyper-V pass-through disks
To create a policy for alternate client backup of a pass-through disk
- Start the NetBackup Administration Console.
- Click on Policies and create a new policy.
- On the policy Attributes tab, select the MS-Windows policy type or the FlashBackup-Windows policy type.
- Click Perform snapshot backups.
- Optional: click Retain snapshot for Instant Recovery or SLP management.
- Click Perform off-host backup.
- In the Use field pull-down list, select Alternate Client.
- For Machine, enter the name of the host that is configured as an off-host backup computer (the alternate client).
The following shows the Snapshot Client panel of the policy Attributes tab.
- Click Options.
The Snapshot Options dialog box appears.
- Select the VSS snapshot method.
The Hyper-V method does not apply to alternate client backup and is not available in the list.
The array may require additional OS and NetBackup configuration as described in the disk arrays chapter of the NetBackup Snapshot Client Administrator's Guide.
- Specify snapshot options for VSS.
Select the following:
Provider Type: For disk arrays, select 3-hardware as the provider type.
Depending on your array and on the snapshot attribute you select, certain preconfiguration of the array may be required. In the NetBackup Snapshot Client guide, see the chapter on snapshot methods for disk arrays, for the appropriate topic for your disk array and the VSS method.
For pass-through disks, note: Instant Recovery point-in-time rollback is not supported for the backups that were made with a hardware provider (VSS provider type of 3-hardware). Copy back restore is supported.
Snapshot Attribute: Select 1-differential (for a copy-on-write type of snapshot) or 2-plex (for a clone type or mirror type of snapshot). The choice depends on the hardware provider that is used with the disk array.
Maximum snapshots (Instant Recovery only): This option sets the maximum number of Instant Recovery snapshots to be retained at one time.
For more information on this option, refer to the topic on the Maximum Snapshots parameter in the NetBackup Snapshot Client Administrator's guide.
- On the Clients tab, specify the virtual machine that has a pass-through disk configured.
- On the Backup Selections tab, specify the pass-through disk that you want to back up, or the files or volumes that reside on the pass-through disk.