Veritas NetBackup™ for Hyper-V Administrator's Guide
- Notes and prerequisites
- Configure NetBackup communication with Hyper-V
- Configure NetBackup policies for Hyper-V
- Backup options on the Hyper-V tab
- Hyper-V - Advanced Attributes
- Browse for Hyper-V virtual machines
- Configure Hyper-V Intelligent Policies
- NetBackup Hyper-V for SCVMM
- Windows Server failover cluster support
- Virtual machine maintenance after a restore
- Back up and restore Hyper-V
- Restoring individual files to a shared location on the virtual machine
- Use Accelerator to back up Hyper-V
- Best practices and more information
- NetBackup logs for Hyper-V and how to create them
- Errors during policy creation
- NetBackup status codes related to Hyper-V
- Appendix A. VSS backup method: Hyper-V online and offline backups
- Appendix B. Hyper-V pass-through disks
- Appendix C. NetBackup commands to back up and restore Hyper-V virtual machines
- Examples of nbrestorevm for restoring VMs to Hyper-V
Enable offline backup of non-VSS VMs (Hyper-V with VSS)
For the VSS backup method, this option determines whether or not NetBackup is allowed to perform an offline backup of a virtual machine. This option is intended for the guest operating systems that do not support VSS (such as Linux).
Online vs. offline backup are Microsoft backup types and are not configured in NetBackup.
If this option is enabled, NetBackup can perform an offline backup of a virtual machine.
In certain situations, if the virtual machine cannot be quiesced for an online backup, the virtual machine must be placed in the Saved state. The backup is thus performed offline. User access to the virtual machine may be interrupted during the backup. After the backup is completed, the virtual machine is returned to its original state.
If this option is disabled, NetBackup is not allowed to perform an offline backup of a virtual machine. Only an online backup can be done (user access to the virtual machine is not interrupted). If an online backup cannot be done, the backup job fails with status 156.
More information is available about online and offline backups.