Veritas NetBackup™ for Hyper-V Administrator's Guide
- Notes and prerequisites
- Configure NetBackup communication with Hyper-V
- Configure NetBackup policies for Hyper-V
- Backup options on the Hyper-V tab
- Hyper-V - Advanced Attributes
- Browse for Hyper-V virtual machines
- Configure Hyper-V Intelligent Policies
- NetBackup Hyper-V for SCVMM
- Windows Server failover cluster support
- Virtual machine maintenance after a restore
- Back up and restore Hyper-V
- Restoring individual files to a shared location on the virtual machine
- Use Accelerator to back up Hyper-V
- Best practices and more information
- NetBackup logs for Hyper-V and how to create them
- Errors during policy creation
- NetBackup status codes related to Hyper-V
- Appendix A. VSS backup method: Hyper-V online and offline backups
- Appendix B. Hyper-V pass-through disks
- Appendix C. NetBackup commands to back up and restore Hyper-V virtual machines
- Examples of nbrestorevm for restoring VMs to Hyper-V
NetBackup for Hyper-V prerequisites
The following prerequisites apply to NetBackup for Hyper-V:
For a list of supported Hyper-V servers, see the appropriate version of the NetBackup Software Compatibility List available from the following location:
For Hyper-V servers on Windows 2008, apply the following hotfixes:
This hotfix is an update for Windows Server 2008-based computers to address issues with backing up and restoring Hyper-V virtual machines.
This hotfix is an update for an unsuccessful virtual machine restore. The unsuccessful restore causes an invalid link to the virtual machine configuration XML file that was created at the following:
An update for the VSS hardware provider snapshot for Hyper-V, to avoid a Hyper-V writer crash during backup.
Check with Microsoft to see if additional hotfixes have been released:
Before starting a backup of a virtual machine, verify that the NetBackup master server and media server can communicate with the Hyper-V server. Add the name of the NetBackup master server to the server list on the NetBackup client and (optional) alternate client.
On a virtual machine, Windows shadow storage for a volume (such as C:) does not have to be configured on the same volume. For instance, shadow storage for the C:\ volume can be configured on D:\. If the Hyper-V server is Windows 2008 R1 and shadow storage for a volume is not configured on the same volume, note: Windows hotfix KB959962 must be installed to perform an online backup of the virtual machine. In this case, if the Hyper-V server is 2008 R1 and the hotfix has not been applied, the backup is performed offline.
Windows 2008 R2 contains all required hotfixes.
Windows shadow storage is required whenever the Windows Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) creates point-in-time snapshots.