Veritas NetBackup™ for Hyper-V Administrator's Guide
- Notes and prerequisites
- Configure NetBackup communication with Hyper-V
- Configure NetBackup policies for Hyper-V
- Backup options on the Hyper-V tab
- Hyper-V - Advanced Attributes
- Browse for Hyper-V virtual machines
- Configure Hyper-V Intelligent Policies
- NetBackup Hyper-V for SCVMM
- Windows Server failover cluster support
- Virtual machine maintenance after a restore
- Back up and restore Hyper-V
- Restoring individual files to a shared location on the virtual machine
- Use Accelerator to back up Hyper-V
- Best practices and more information
- NetBackup logs for Hyper-V and how to create them
- Errors during policy creation
- NetBackup status codes related to Hyper-V
- Appendix A. VSS backup method: Hyper-V online and offline backups
- Appendix B. Hyper-V pass-through disks
- Appendix C. NetBackup commands to back up and restore Hyper-V virtual machines
- Examples of nbrestorevm for restoring VMs to Hyper-V
NetBackup for Hyper-V environment
The following table describes the components that are required for NetBackup to back up and restore a Hyper-V virtual machine.
Table: Components required for NetBackup for Hyper-V
Description and requirements
NetBackup master server
Runs the backup policies and starts backups and restores.
NetBackup media server
Reads and writes backup data and manages NetBackup storage media. The NetBackup media server can be installed on the Hyper-V host or on a different host.
For a more efficient backup, install the NetBackup media server on the Hyper-V host.
NetBackup client (and optional alternate client)
Processes backup and restore requests.
The NetBackup client must be installed on the Hyper-V host(s).
If the Server Type on the policy Clients tab is System Center Virtual Machine Manager, a NetBackup client must also be installed on the SCVMM server.
In most cases, the client does not need to be installed on any virtual machine. For exceptions, refer to the following topics.
A Windows hypervisor virtualization system, for creating the virtual machine guests that run in a Windows Server host computer.
Additional requirements may apply. Refer to your Microsoft Hyper-V documentation.
Hyper-V integration services (integration components)
Provides the integration between the Hyper-V server and the virtual machines.
The Hyper-V backup integration service must be enabled.
The following figure shows the NetBackup for Hyper-V environment.