Veritas NetBackup™ for Hyper-V Administrator's Guide
- Notes and prerequisites
- Configure NetBackup communication with Hyper-V
- Configure NetBackup policies for Hyper-V
- Backup options on the Hyper-V tab
- Hyper-V - Advanced Attributes
- Browse for Hyper-V virtual machines
- Configure Hyper-V Intelligent Policies
- NetBackup Hyper-V for SCVMM
- Windows Server failover cluster support
- Virtual machine maintenance after a restore
- Back up and restore Hyper-V
- Restoring individual files to a shared location on the virtual machine
- Use Accelerator to back up Hyper-V
- Best practices and more information
- NetBackup logs for Hyper-V and how to create them
- Errors during policy creation
- NetBackup status codes related to Hyper-V
- Appendix A. VSS backup method: Hyper-V online and offline backups
- Appendix B. Hyper-V pass-through disks
- Appendix C. NetBackup commands to back up and restore Hyper-V virtual machines
- Examples of nbrestorevm for restoring VMs to Hyper-V
Options for selecting Hyper-V virtual machines
This topic describes the options on the policy Clients tab for Hyper-V policies.
You can use these options to manually select virtual machines, or to configure NetBackup to select virtual machines automatically. For automatic selection, you specify the selection criteria (rules) in the policy's Query Builder. When the backup job runs, NetBackup discovers the virtual machines that currently meet the criteria and backs up those virtual machines.
A procedure is available:
Table: Virtual machine selection options (not available on the Backup Policy Configuration Wizard panel)
Select the type of environment in which NetBackup searches for the VMs to back up.
Enter the name of the Hyper-V server or SCVMM server.
For a clustered environment, note:
Click this option and clickto manually enter virtual machines names, or to browse and select them from a list.
The rest of the fields and options are for automatic selection of virtual machines.
Select automatically through Hyper-V Intelligent Policy query
Click this option to allow NetBackup to automatically select virtual machines for backup based on the rules that you enter in the Query Builder.
Table: Query Builder
Query Builder (Join, Field, Operator, Values)
Use these pull-down fields to define rules for automatic selection of virtual machines. From left to right, each pull-down refines the rule.
Click the plus sign to add the rule to the Query pane.
Click the reset icon (curved arrow) to blank out the pull-down fields.
Places the Query Builder in Advanced Mode for manual entry of rules.
Returns the Query Builder from Advanced Mode to Basic Mode.
Use this option to change an existing query rule when in Basic Mode, as follows:
Deletes a query rule when in Basic Mode. Click on the rule and then click.
Click this option to test which virtual machines NetBackup selects based on the rules in the Query Builder.
This test option does not create the backup list for the policy. When the next backup runs from this policy, NetBackup re-discovers virtual machines and consults the query rules. At that time, NetBackup backs up the virtual machines that match the rules.