Veritas Flex Appliance Getting Started and Administration Guide
- Product overview
- Getting started
- Modifying settings
- Managing users
- Managing Flex Appliance Console users and tenants
- Managing NetBackup application instance users
- Using Flex Appliance
- Managing the repository
- Creating application instances
- Managing application instances
- Managing application add-ons on instances
- Running NetBackup commands on an application instance
- Upgrading application instances
- About Flex Appliance upgrades and updates
- Monitoring the appliance
- About AutoSupport and Call Home
- Monitoring the hardware from the Flex Appliance Shell
- Reconfiguring the appliance
- Troubleshooting guidelines
Adding a node
Flex Appliance supports up to two nodes on the Veritas 5340 Appliance. You can add a second node during initial configuration or any time after.
A multi-node appliance provides the following benefits:
Increased efficiency with a shared workload
Automatic failover for a single-node failure
Adding a second node consists of the following tasks:
Perform the host network configuration on the new node.
From the existing node, add the new node to the appliance.
Complete the initial configuration on the new node.
To perform the host network configuration on the new node
- Verify the version compatibility between the new node and the node that you want to add it to. The nodes must be running the same upgrade version of Flex Appliance, but they can have different update versions. For example, if your existing node has the 1.3.1 update installed on it, you can add a node that is running version 1.3. However, you cannot add a node that is running version 1.2.
If the existing node is at a lower version that does not meet these requirements, upgrade that node before you add the new one. If the new node is at a lower version that does not meet these requirements, it must be reimaged to the later version. Contact Veritas Technical Support for assistance and ask your representative to reference article 100044669.
Veritas also recommends that you install any missing updates after you add the node so that both nodes are running the same version.
Gather the following details for the new node that you want to add to the appliance:
Gather the following details from the appliance that you want to add the node to:
(Optional) DNS server IP address
(Optional) Search domain
- Use the following steps to access the Flex Appliance Shell from the Veritas Remote Management Interface:
Open a supported web browser on a system that has a network connection to the appliance. Flex Appliance supports the following browsers:
Google Chrome version 57 or higher
Mozilla Firefox version 52 or higher
Enter the IP address that is assigned to the remote management port of the new node.
Log in to the Veritas Remote Management Interface with the following default credentials:
Change the sysadmin password from the known default password as follows:
Navigate to Configuration > Users and select the sysadmin user.
Click Modify User.
Select the Change Password check box and enter a new password.
Navigate to Remote Control > Console Redirection and click Launch Console to launch the Flex Appliance Shell.
- Log in to the Flex Appliance Shell with the following default credentials:
A welcome message appears in the Flex Appliance Shell with the available commands setup and system.
- Enter the following command to configure the host network:
Follow the prompts to enter the host network information. You can enter multiple DNS server IP addresses or search domains using a comma-separated list.
- If you did not fill in the optional DNS parameters or want to bypass DNS for the new node, enter the following command to add the hostname resolution information to the appliance
Follow the prompts to enter the required information for the new node.
To add the new node to the appliance
- Log in to Flex Appliance Shell from the other, preexisting node that was previously configured for the appliance.
- From the preexisting node, enter the following command to add the new node to the appliance:
setup add-node with-response new_node=<hostname>, where <hostname> is the hostname of the node that you want to add.
Follow the prompts to add the node. When you are prompted for the new node's password, enter P@ssw0rd.
Do not perform any other tasks on the appliance until the add-node operation is complete.
To complete the initial configuration on the new node
- Log back in to the Flex Appliance Shell from the new node that you just added to the appliance. The shell should now display additional command options.
- Enter the following command to change the hostadmin password from the known default password:
hostadmin: set user password
Follow the prompts to enter the new password.
- If you added this node as part of the appliance initial configuration, return to the initial configuration procedure and refer to the next steps at the end of the procedure to get started using the appliance.