Veritas Flex Appliance Getting Started and Administration Guide
- Product overview
- Getting started
- Modifying settings
- Managing users
- Managing Flex Appliance Console users and tenants
- Managing NetBackup application instance users
- Using Flex Appliance
- Managing the repository
- Creating application instances
- Managing application instances
- Managing application add-ons on instances
- Running NetBackup commands on an application instance
- Upgrading application instances
- About Flex Appliance upgrades and updates
- Monitoring the appliance
- About AutoSupport and Call Home
- Monitoring the hardware from the Flex Appliance Shell
- Reconfiguring the appliance
- Troubleshooting guidelines
Upgrading application instances
Use the following procedure to upgrade an existing instance in Flex Appliance.
To upgrade an instance
- Make sure that the new version of the application is located in the repository. See Managing the repository.
- From the System topology page of the Flex Appliance Console, navigate to the Application instances section.
- Locate the instance that you want to upgrade. If it is stopped, select it and click Start before you begin the upgrade so that the upgrade precheck can run.
- Stop all current backup operations on the instance.
- From the Application instances section, select the instance, then click Manage > Upgrade instance.
- Select the version that you want to upgrade to and click Precheck.
- If the precheck passes, click Next to continue. If the application needs any additional configuration parameters, you are prompted to enter them. Enter the parameters and click Next. Then verify the selection summary and click Upgrade to begin the upgrade process.
If the precheck returns with any error messages, resolve the issues before continuing with the upgrade.
If the upgrade fails for any reason, the instance automatically rolls back to the previous version. You can find more detailed information on the failure in the Activity Monitor. Resolve any issues before restarting the upgrade procedure.
- If your application does not support rollback, the upgrade is now complete.
If your application does support rollback, the instance version remains in a pending state for the next 24 hours. You must decide within that time period whether you want to commit to the new version or roll back to the previous version.
Performing a rollback may lead to inconsistencies between the NetBackup catalog and the media servers for all jobs that ran after the upgrade. These inconsistencies can affect future backups.
To commit or roll back the instance version, navigate to the System topology > Application instances section and do one of the following:
To commit to the new version, select the instance name and click Manage > Upgrade instance > Commit. You can also click on the instance name to open the instance details page, then click Commit at the top of the screen.
To roll back to the previous version, stop all current backup operations on the instance. Then select the instance name and click Manage > Upgrade instance > Roll back. You can also click on the instance name to open the instance details page, then click Roll back at the top of the screen.
Before you roll back the version of a master server instance, check the versions of all media servers and clients that are used with it. The version of the master server after rollback must be equal to or later than the versions of the connected hosts, including media server instances.
If you do not commit or roll back within 24 hours of the upgrade, the new instance version is committed automatically.