Veritas Flex Appliance Getting Started and Administration Guide
- Product overview
- Getting started
- Modifying settings
- Managing users
- Managing Flex Appliance Console users and tenants
- Managing NetBackup application instance users
- Using Flex Appliance
- Managing the repository
- Creating application instances
- Managing application instances
- Managing application add-ons on instances
- Running NetBackup commands on an application instance
- Upgrading application instances
- About Flex Appliance upgrades and updates
- Monitoring the appliance
- About AutoSupport and Call Home
- Monitoring the hardware from the Flex Appliance Shell
- Reconfiguring the appliance
- Troubleshooting guidelines
Creating a NetBackup master server instance
Use the following procedure to create a NetBackup master server instance in Flex Appliance.
To create a NetBackup master server instance
- Make sure that the NetBackup master server application you want to use is located in the repository. See Managing the repository.
- Perform the following tasks if you have not already:
- Gather the following information for the new instance:
The hostname and IP address must not be in use anywhere else in your domain.
Tenant that you want to assign it to
Hostname (maximum of 63 characters including the domain name)
Smart Meter customer registration key (NetBackup 8.1.2 and later)
Veritas Smart Meter helps you manage your NetBackup deployment more efficiently, spot trends, and plan for the future. To obtain a key, log in to the Veritas Smart Meter site with your VEMS credentials and go to the Registration Keys page to download the key.
(Optional) NetBackup license key
NetBackup applications come with an evaluation license key. You must add a permanent NetBackup license key before the evaluation key expires. You can add your permanent key when you create the instance to avoid future issues.
If the evaluation key expires before you create the instance, the instance creation fails. Make sure that you have a valid license key before you create an instance.
(Optional) External Certificate Authority (CA) information:
External certificate, in PEM format
Custom CRL files, if needed
- From the System topology page of the Flex Appliance Console, navigate to the Application instances section.
- Click Create instance.
- Select the appropriate master server application from the repository list that appears, making sure to verify the version number. Click Next.
- Follow the prompts to create the instance. When you are done, you can view the progress in the Activity Monitor, which is accessible from the left pane of the Flex Appliance Console.
If you do not want to use DNS or want to bypass DNS for certain hosts, verify that the hostname resolution information is included in the Hosts file entries field. You must include entries for the media servers and any other NetBackup hosts that you want to communicate with the instance.
- Once the instance has been created successfully, you must change the password from the known default password.
You cannot access the NetBackup web UI to manage the instance until you have changed the password.
To change the password, open an SSH session to the instance and log in with the following credentials:
Follow the prompt to enter a new password.
- (Optional) If you want to configure this instance to use an external CA-signed certificate, you can do so now or at a later time. Use an SCP tool to copy the files to the following locations:
Copy the external certificate to the
/mnt/nbdata/hostcert/directory on the instance.
If needed, copy the certificate revocation lists (CRLs) to the
/mnt/nbdata/hostcert/crldirectory on the instance.
Complete the external CA configuration from NetBackup. See the NetBackup Security and Encryption Guide for details.
Do not configure AdvancedDisk storage on a NetBackup master server instance. The NetBackup Administration Console lets you create an AdvancedDisk storage server on a master server instance, but Flex Appliance does not support storage configuration on master server instances. Create a separate NetBackup media server instance if you want to use AdvancedDisk storage.