Veritas Appliance Management Guide
- Appliance as an AMS
- Using the Appliance Management Console
- Managing appliances from the Home page
- About managing appliance software upgrades
- Managing EEBs or add-ons
- About staging packages
- About managing services
- Monitoring activities and events
- Managing the repository
- Applying management updates on earlier appliance versions
- Running AMS on NetBackup Virtual Appliance
Managing AMS updates
The management update package includes fixes and new features for the Appliance Management Server and agents. Veritas recommends that you update both the AMS and the agents so that they have the same AMS/agent version.
AMS can be updated only if the version of AMS installed is 1.1 or later.
The management update package updates the management function and does not affect the appliance software on the AMS.
If you want to upgrade the appliance software on the AMS, use the NetBackup Appliance Shell Menu. See the NetBackup Appliance Upgrade Guide for details.
Use the following procedure to install the management updates on the AMS.
To install management updates on the AMS
- Before starting this procedure, add the management update package to the Repository on the AMS.
From a computer within your appliance domain, download the appropriate package or file from Veritas Entitlement Management System (VEMS). To access VEMS, go to the Veritas Support website and click Licensing. Download the
- From the same computer, open another browser window and log on to the AMS as the AMS user.
- On the Settings page, click Repository.
- On the Repository page, click Add.
- In the dialog box that appears, do the following:
At the top of the dialog box, click on the drop-down and navigate to the location where you downloaded the package or the file from Veritas.
Select the downloaded package or file from the list of items that appears, then click Open. The package or the file should appear at the top of the list on the Repository page.
- After the package is added to the Repository, the following message is displayed on the Home page:
- Go to Settings > Update AMS.
When you add the management update package to the Repository on AMS 3.1.1, the Settings page may not display the Update AMS option. To resolve this issue, go to any other page on the Appliance Management Console and return to the Settings page.
- Review the screen that appears, then click Update.
After you click Update, you are logged out, and the update of the management function on the AMS begins in the background.
The AMS update usually takes one minute, but sometimes it may take more time due to environmental factors.
- You are redirected to the sign-in page. Log on as a user with the AMS role to access the Appliance Management Console.
Click Monitor > Activity Monitor to view the AMS update task details. The AMS update usually takes a few minutes to complete.
The AMS version is also listed at the top-left corner on every screen under the text Veritas Appliance Management Console.
- Veritas recommends that you update the agents that are added to an AMS after you update the AMS itself, so that they have the same AMS/agent version. You can choose to update these agents automatically or manually.
Only agents with appliance software version 3.1.1 or later can be updated.