Veritas™ 5340 Appliance Hardware Installation Guide
- Hardware overview
- Preinstallation requirements
- Hardware installation procedures
- Appendix A. Adding Expansion Storage Shelves to an operating appliance that does not have any Expansion shelves
- Appendix B. Adding Expansion Storage Shelves to an operating appliance that has at least one operating Expansion shelf
- Appendix C. Configuring the disk space for new NetBackup Expansion Storage Shelves
- Appendix D. Configuring the disk space for new Flex Expansion Storage Shelves
Connecting the hardware to one node
This section provides cabling information for a Veritas &aModel; Appliance that includes one compute node, one Primary Storage Shelf, and up to three Expansion Storage Shelves.
Refer to the following section for cabling a system with two nodes.
The compute node is connected to the Primary Storage Shelf with four Fibre Channel (FC) cables. Each FC HBA card in slots 1 and 4 of the compute node contains two FC ports.
Each Primary shelf contains two RAID controller I/O modules. Each module contains two sets of FC ports where each set includes two ports for a total of four ports per module.
Expansion Storage Shelves connect to the Primary shelf and to other Expansion shelves with two SAS3 cables.
The Primary shelf has a single SAS3 port on the left side of each RAID controller I/O module. This port connects to SAS3 port A in the Expansion I/O modules.
To connect a compute node to a Primary shelf
- Obtain four Fibre Channel (FC) cables.
- Identify the FC ports (circled in orange) in slot 1 of the compute node.
Identify the FC ports (circled in purple) in slot 4 of the compute node.
Note that the orange and the purple cables are for demonstration purposes only.
- Connect one FC cable to each port.
- On the Primary shelf connect the other end of the FC cables .
The two ports in slot 1 of the compute node connect to the far right port (port 0) on each RAID controller I/O module.
The two ports in slot 4 of the compute node connect to the port (port 1) next to the far right port.
- Use the following procedure to connect Expansion Storage Shelves to the Primary shelf.
If you do not have any Expansion shelves at this time, proceed to the following section to connect power cords to the hardware.
To connect Expansion Storage Shelves to a Primary shelf
- Obtain two SAS3 cables.
- Locate the SAS3 ports in the left-hand side of each controller in the Primary shelf.
- Locate SAS3 ports A and C in both I/O modules of the Expansion shelves.
Port B is not used.
- IMPORTANT - Be sure that the blue tab on each SAS3 connector faces down. The RAID controller does not recognize an incorrectly inserted connector.
- If you have only one Expansion shelf, connect the SAS3 cable from the right RAID controller to port A on the Expansion shelf, right I/O module.
Connect the SAS3 cable in the right RAID controller to port A in the right Expansion shelf I/O module.
- If you have more than one Expansion shelf, obtain two SAS3 cables for each shelf. Note the left and the right Expansion shelf I/O modules.
Do not connect the right RAID controller SAS3 port to the first Expansion shelf.
In the left Expansion shelf I/O modules, connect port C in the top shelf to port A in the next shelf.
In the right Expansion shelf I/O modules, connect port A in the top shelf to port C in the next shelf.
Repeat the cable connections for more Expansion shelves.
Connect the right RAID controller SAS3 port to port A in the last Expansion shelf.
Verify that your cable connections are exactly like the cables in the following diagrams.