Veritas NetBackup™ Plug-in for VMware vSphere Web Client Guide
- Introduction and notes
- Installing the NetBackup plug-in for vSphere Web Client
- Configuration overview for the NetBackup Recovery and Instant Recovery Wizards
- Excluding virtual disks from the backup
- Monitoring backup status
- Restoring virtual machines
- NetBackup Recovery Wizard screens
- NetBackup Instant Recovery Wizard screens
- Appendix A. Instant recovery operations
- Appendix B. Installing the vSphere Web Client plug-in from a NetBackup media server and plug-in package host
Installing the vSphere Web Client plug-in from a NetBackup media server and plug-in package host (web server)
This topic describes how to install the NetBackup plug-in for vSphere Web Client from a NetBackup media server.
By default, the vSphere Web Client plug-in is installed over an https connection by means of the NetBackup master server. If the master server does not have a network connection to the vCenter server, you can install the plug-in from a NetBackup media server and your own plug-in package host.
Table: Requirements for installing the vSphere Web Client plug-in from a NetBackup media server is a brief list of the installation requirements, followed by the installation procedure.
Table: Requirements for installing the vSphere Web Client plug-in from a NetBackup media server
Plug-in package host (web server)
The plug-in package host must be a web server. It must be accessible as follows:
You must supply the URL of the plug-in package host during plug-in installation.
Plug-in installation media
The plug-in installation media is a zip file (
Do not rename the
NetBackup media server
The media server from which you install the plug-in must have network access to the plug-in package host web server and to the vCenter server.
Additional configuration if the URL for the plug-in package host uses HTTP instead of HTTPS.
To configure the vCenter to allow an
To install the vSphere Web Client plug-in from a NetBackup media server
- Download the
netbackup-vwc-plugin.zipfile from the NetBackup master server and copy it to the appropriate folder on the plug-in package host (web server). The vCenter later downloads the file from the web server.
You can download the file from the master server by means of a browser:
This example uses a port number of 8443. However, the port number on the master server may be different.
- A security pop-up may ask you to verify or confirm the master server's certificate for the download. To proceed with the download, you must verify the certificate by confirming the security exception.
If the certificate has already been trusted or added as an exception, the security pop-up does not appear.
- From the media server that has network access to the vCenter and to the plug-in package host, start the vwcp_manage command:
UNIX, Linux: /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/goodies/vwcp_manage
If you run vwcp_manage with administrator or root privileges, the command discovers the available vCenters and presents them in a list (in a following step). Otherwise, you must provide the vCenter name or IP address.
- Registration begins with the End User License Agreement (click Accept):
- On the following dialog, use the pull-down list to select the vCenter server and enter the credentials, then click Validate.
If the vwcp_manage command was not run with administrator or root privileges, you must manually enter the vCenter name or IP address.
The registration utility connects to the vCenter server and determines whether the plug-in is registered. If the plug-in is not registered, the Plug-in package location dialog appears.
- Select Use alternate plug-in package location and enter the full URL of the plug-in package host where the
netbackup-vwc-plugin.zipfile is hosted. This host is the web server where the plug-in zip file was copied in step 1. You can test the URL by downloading the plug-in zip file using a web browser.
The URL field is not pre-populated with the plug-in package host URL. You must enter the URL.
- Click Register.
If the URL entered in step 6 uses the secure
httpsprotocol, a security alert appears:
This security alert shows the identity of the web server that hosts the plug-in package. The vCenter later downloads the plug-in from this server. Use this dialog to verify the identity of the plug-in package web server.
To allow the installation to proceed, click Continue.
If the URL entered in step 6 uses
https, you are prompted to configure the vCenter to allow an
To configure the vCenter to allow an
httpURL, use the procedure in the following topic:
When you have completed the procedure to allow installation of the plug-in over HTTP, click OK on the Warning.
If the vCenter's
webclient.propertiesfile already includes allowHttp=true, you can skip the HTTP procedure (click OK on the Warning).
- The following appears:
- Click Close.
- To verify that the plug-in installed correctly, go to the vSphere Web Client object navigator.
For example, under Home > Hosts and Clusters > Monitor, look for the Veritas NetBackup tab.
If the Veritas NetBackup tab does not appear:
- To register the plug-in with another vCenter, repeat this procedure starting at step 3.