Veritas NetBackup™ Cloud Administrator's Guide
- About NetBackup cloud storage
- About the cloud storage
- About the Amazon S3 cloud storage API type
- About protecting data in Amazon for long-term retention
- Protecting data using Amazon's cloud tiering
- About using Amazon IAM roles with NetBackup
- Protecting data with Amazon Snowball and Amazon Snowball Edge
- About Microsoft Azure cloud storage API type
- About OpenStack Swift cloud storage API type
- Configuring cloud storage in NetBackup
- Scalable Storage properties
- Cloud Storage properties
- About the NetBackup CloudStore Service Container
- About the NetBackup media servers for cloud storage
- Configuring a storage server for cloud storage
- NetBackup cloud storage server properties
- Configuring a storage unit for cloud storage
- Changing cloud storage disk pool properties
- Monitoring and Reporting
- Operational notes
- About unified logging
- About legacy logging
- Troubleshooting cloud storage configuration issues
- Troubleshooting cloud storage operational issues
Configuring a storage server for cloud storage
Configure in this context means to configure a host as a storage server that can write to and read from the cloud storage. The NetBackup Cloud Storage Server Configuration Wizard communicates with your cloud storage vendor's service endpoint and selects the appropriate host for the storage server.
The wizard also lets you enable encryption and configure corresponding parameters for the NetBackup Key Management Service.
If you configure encryption, Veritas recommends that you save a record of the key names.
If you configure a storage server by using CLI, you must run csconfig command before running nbdevconfig and tpconfig commands.
See the NetBackup Commands Reference Guide.
The NetBackup media server that you select during the configuration process must conform to the requirements for cloud storage.
To configure a cloud storage server by using the wizard
- In the NetBackup Administration Console connected to the NetBackup master server, select either NetBackup Management or Media and Device Management.
- In the right pane, click Configure Cloud Storage Servers.
- Click Next on the welcome panel.
The Select cloud provider panel appears.
The following is an example of the panel:
- On the Select cloud provider panel, perform one of the following:
Select the cloud provider from the Cloud storage providers list of cloud providers.
Sort the list of cloud providers by selecting the cloud storage API type from the Storage API type drop-down list and then selecting the cloud provider.
In the Cloud storage providers search box, type the cloud provider name that you want to select. A cloud provider may support multiple cloud storage API types. Select an appropriate provider.
- Click Next. A wizard panel for the selected cloud provider appears.
- Select the preferred storage class and click Next.
This option is available only for Amazon and Amazon GovCloud cloud providers. See About Amazon S3 storage classes.
- Specify the following settings on the Specify object size, compression, and encryption settings panel.
NetBackup media servers that are older than the 7.7.3 version do not support data compression. Therefore, if you have selected an older media server, the compression option does not appear on the panel.
If you use NetBackup commands to add a NetBackup 7.7.3 or earlier media server to a cloud storage environment that uses compression, cloud backups may fail. Ensure that all media servers that you add to a cloud storage configuration with the compression are NetBackup 7.7.3 or later.
To specify a custom object size, enter a value in the Object Size field. If you do not update the value, the default object size is used.
The object size must be less than or equal to the read or write buffer size.
To compress your backup data, select Compress data before writing to cloud storage.
To encrypt the data that would go on cloud storage , select Encrypt data using AES-256 before writing to cloud storage. Then, enter the information to protect the KMS database.
Click Next. If you entered the compression and the encryption information, a dialog box appears that explains that you cannot change the settings after configuration. Click Yes to proceed or click No to cancel. If you click Yes, the Cloud Storage Server Configuration Summary panel appears.
- On the Cloud Storage Server Configuration Summary panel, verify the selections.
If you need to make corrections, click Back until you reach the panel on which you need to make corrections.
If the selections are OK, click Next. The wizard creates the storage server, and the Storage Server Creation Confirmation panel appears.
On the Storage Server Creation Confirmation panel, do one of the following: