Veritas NetBackup™ Cloud Administrator's Guide
- About NetBackup cloud storage
- About the cloud storage
- About the Amazon S3 cloud storage API type
- About protecting data in Amazon for long-term retention
- Protecting data using Amazon's cloud tiering
- About using Amazon IAM roles with NetBackup
- Protecting data with Amazon Snowball and Amazon Snowball Edge
- About Microsoft Azure cloud storage API type
- About OpenStack Swift cloud storage API type
- Configuring cloud storage in NetBackup
- Scalable Storage properties
- Cloud Storage properties
- About the NetBackup CloudStore Service Container
- About the NetBackup media servers for cloud storage
- Configuring a storage server for cloud storage
- NetBackup cloud storage server properties
- Configuring a storage unit for cloud storage
- Changing cloud storage disk pool properties
- Monitoring and Reporting
- Operational notes
- About unified logging
- About legacy logging
- Troubleshooting cloud storage configuration issues
- Troubleshooting cloud storage operational issues
Configuring NetBackup with Amazon Snowball Edge with file interface
When you backup data to the Amazon Snowball Edge device using the file interface, data is moved directly from the source to the Amazon Snowball Edge device.
Recommendation: As a precaution, always create a copy of the backup till the Amazon Snowball Edge device is not imported to cloud.
To configure NetBackup to transfer data to Amazon Snowball Edge using the file interface
- Create the cloud storage server with default instance.
An Amazon Snowball Edge device can be used to transfer data only from the region from where the device is obtained. Thus, ensure that all the buckets in storage server belong to same region.
Create different bucket(s) for Amazon Snowball Edge when you configure the disk pool. These buckets are used to create an import job in the AWS console.
It is recommended to create the buckets from the NetBackup Administration Console. However, if you create buckets from the AWS console, ensure that only characters that are supported by NetBackup are used.
- Create an import job in the AWS console. Select the buckets that were created during the disk pool creation. Refer to the AWS documentation for detailed steps.
- Install the Amazon Snowball client on the NetBackup media server.
- Configure the Amazon Snowball Edge device using the Amazon Snowball client.
- Update the following storage server properties:
AMZ:TRANSFER_DRIVE_PATH: <absolute path of the directory where the file share of the Amazon Snowball Edge device is mounted>
Mount the root of the file share instead of individual bucket(s) and provide that path to TRANSFER_DRIVE_PATH.
Set the property back to NONE after you have transferred the data to the Amazon Snowball Edge device.
- Create the NetBackup storage lifecycle policy and backup policy.
- After the data transfer is complete:
Deactivate the backup policy or postpone the secondary operation processing in the SLP till the device is in transit.
Set the storage server properties you have configured in step 5 to NONE.
Rollback the changes you done in step 6.
- Ship the device to the cloud vendor. Refer to the AWS documentation for detailed steps.