Enterprise Vault™ Introduction and Planning
- About this guide
- Overview of Enterprise Vault
- How Enterprise Vault works
- About Enterprise Vault indexing
- About Enterprise Vault tasks
- About Enterprise Vault services
- About the Archive Discovery Search Service
- About the Enterprise Vault Outlook Add-In
- About Enterprise Vault Search
- Enterprise Vault administration
- About reporting and monitoring in Enterprise Vault
- Exchange Server archiving
- About Exchange Server archiving and user mailboxes
- Exchange Server and journal mailbox archiving
- Exchange Public Folder archiving
- File System Archiving
- Archiving Microsoft SharePoint servers
- Domino mailbox archiving
- Domino Journal archiving
- SMTP Archiving
- Skype for Business Archiving
- Enterprise Vault Accelerators
- About Compliance Accelerator
- The Compliance Accelerator client application
- About Discovery Accelerator
- Discovery Accelerator client application
- Building in resilience
- About Enterprise Vault and VCS
- About Enterprise Vault and Windows Server Failover Clustering
- About Enterprise Vault building blocks
- Planning component installation
- Where to set up the Enterprise Vault Services and Tasks
- Installation planning for client components
- Planning your archiving strategy
- How to define your archiving policy for user mailboxes
- How to plan the archiving strategy for Exchange public folders
- How to plan settings for retention categories
- How to plan vault stores and partitions
- About Enterprise Vault reports
Introduction to PST migration tasks
Locate and Migrate - This locates PST files on users' computers, copies them to a central location, and then migrates them. Unless you have only a few PST files to migrate, Locate and Migrate is likely to require least effort on your part.
Client-driven migration - This is similar to Locate and Migrate, but finding PST files and sending them to a PST collection area is performed automatically by the user's computer, as opposed to by the Enterprise Vault Server Tasks.
Locate and Migrate partially automates the process of migrating the contents of PST files into Enterprise Vault. It can automatically search for PST files on users' computers and move them to a central holding area, from which they can be automatically migrated.
Locate and Migrate comprises the following Enterprise Vault task types:
A Locator task. This searches your network for computers and PST files. You can configure specific paths to include or exclude during PST searching. There can be only one Locator task in your Enterprise Vault site.
The tasks are configured and scheduled using the Enterprise Vault Administration Console.
It is possible to configure the Enterprise Vault Outlook Add-In so that users can perform their own PST migrations. The underlying mechanism that is used is still Locate and Migrate, but users can queue their own PST files for migration.