Enterprise Vault™ Setting up SMTP Archiving
- About this guide
- Introducing Enterprise Vault SMTP Archiving
- Installing SMTP Archiving
- Configuring SMTP Archiving
- Configuring the Enterprise Vault SMTP Servers in the site
- Adding an SMTP Archiving task and holding folder
- Configuring retention categories and retention plans
- Creating SMTP policies
- Configuring archives for SMTP messages
- Provisioning users for SMTP Group or SMTP Mailbox Journaling
- Using the SMTP dashboard
- PowerShell cmdlets
- Appendix A. Configuring target address rewriting
Adding SMTP routing addresses
Routing addresses are used to direct SMTP email messages to the Enterprise Vault SMTP servers. If you are configuring SMTP Journaling, then the routing addresses are the only target addresses that you add. If you are configuring SMTP Group or Mailbox Journaling, you need to add the required routing addresses before you configure additional target addresses.
We recommend that you create provisioning groups to add the additional target addresses for SMTP Group or Mailbox Journaling. You cannot use provisioning groups to add routing addresses.
SMTP routing addresses are added as manual SMTP target addresses. You can use the Enterprise Vault Administration Console, as described in this section, or the PowerShell cmdlet New-EVSMTPTarget.
To add an SMTP routing address using the Enterprise Vault Administration Console
- In the navigation pane, navigate to Targets > SMTP > Manual Targets.
- Right-click the Manual Targets container, and select New > Target Email Address.
The New SMTP target wizard starts.
- Enter the routing address in the form user@domain. Wildcard characters are not permitted when specifying SMTP target addresses.
- For now, leave the type of journaling option set to SMTP Journaling, even if you are implementing SMTP Group or Mailbox Journaling.
- Select the SMTP policy to apply to messages that include the routing address. Click Next.
- Click Add to select the archives in which to store these messages. Click New if you want to associate this target with a new SMTP archive. Click Next.
- Select the retention settings to apply to the messages. Click Next.
Changes to the retention settings may apply to multiple archives, if the target's archive is also associated with other targets that are in turn associated with other archives.
- A summary of the target properties is displayed. Click Finish.
- If you are adding this routing address after you have configured SMTP Group or Mailbox Journaling, then rerun the SMTP Provisioning task using the Run now option on the task properties or context menu.
- When the SMTP Provisioning task run has completed, restart the SMTP Archiving task on the Enterprise Vault SMTP server. If there are multiple Enterprise Vault SMTP servers in the site, then you need to start the SMTP Archiving task on each SMTP server.