Enterprise Vault™ PST Migration
- About this guide
- Introduction to PST migration
- PST file ownership
- PST migration: scripted
- Output from PST migration
- PST migration: wizard-assisted
- PST migration: Locate and Migrate
- Setting up PST Locate and Migrate
- Configuring the holding folder for PST Locate and Migrate
- Creating and configuring the PST Locator, PST Collector, and PST Migrator tasks
- Migrating PST files using PST Locate and Migrate
- Running the PST Locator task to find domains and computers
- Running the PST Locator task to find PST files
- PowerShell cmdlets for PST migration
- PST migration: client-driven migration
- About client-driven PST migration
- Enabling mailboxes for PST client-driven migration
Determining the size of the holding folder for PST Locate and Migrate
In Enterprise Vault site properties you can specify a maximum size in gigabytes for the PST holding folder. The size that is specified applies to each PST Collector task. For example, if you specify the maximum folder size as 5 GB, and there are two PST Collector tasks configured, then the total maximum size of the PST holding folder is 10 GB.
The PST Migrator task should empty the PST holding folder during its scheduled daily run. If PST files remain in the PST holding folder, they are not migrated until the next scheduled run starts. As PST files are set to read-only during migration, users cannot access these PST files for an extended period.
You can use one of the following techniques to ensure that the PST Migrator task empties the PST holding folder:
Set a suitable maximum size for the PST holding folder that ensures the PST Migrator task can empty the folder during its scheduled daily run.
Set a small maximum size for the PST holding folder, and then schedule the PST Collector task so that it keeps the folder full. Set the schedule for the PST Collector task so that it ends before the end of the PST Migrator task schedule. This approach ensures that the PST Migrator task has time to empty the folder during its scheduled run.
When the PST Migrator task runs, it generates a report file. You can use the information in this report to determine the average number of PST files that the task can migrate during its scheduled run. In the properties of the PST Collector task, you can then specify the maximum number of PST files to store in the PST holding folder.