Enterprise Vault™ PST Migration
- About this guide
- Introduction to PST migration
- PST file ownership
- PST migration: scripted
- Output from PST migration
- PST migration: wizard-assisted
- PST migration: Locate and Migrate
- Setting up PST Locate and Migrate
- Configuring the holding folder for PST Locate and Migrate
- Creating and configuring the PST Locator, PST Collector, and PST Migrator tasks
- Migrating PST files using PST Locate and Migrate
- Running the PST Locator task to find domains and computers
- Running the PST Locator task to find PST files
- PowerShell cmdlets for PST migration
- PST migration: client-driven migration
- About client-driven PST migration
- Enabling mailboxes for PST client-driven migration
How the wizard-assisted PST migration process affects users
You can migrate the contents of PST files, choosing to create shortcuts to migrated items, as follows:
If you create shortcuts in mailboxes, then PST Migrator duplicates the folder structure of the PST files under a new, top-level folder in the mailboxes.
If you create shortcuts in PST files to which users still have access, then the users must move the shortcuts to their mailboxes before the shortcuts will work.
If users store new items in a PST file that has been migrated, you can run the migration again at any time, again creating shortcuts to migrated items. PST Migrator will migrate the new items.
You can delete PST files at the end of the migration. If you do this then, obviously, the files are no longer available to users.
If a user has configured Outlook to deliver new mail to a PST file rather than to the mailbox, there will be errors when Outlook next starts, as follows:
If the PST file no longer exists, there is an error as soon as Outlook starts and the user is then given the option to create a new PST file.
If the PST file still exists but is read-only, then there will be an error as soon as the user tries to access the PST or tries to create a mail message.
The best solution is for users to make sure, before you perform the migration, that mail is not being delivered to PST files.