Veritas NetBackup™ for Microsoft SharePoint Server Administrator's Guide
- Introducing NetBackup for SharePoint Server
- Installing NetBackup for SharePoint Server
- Installing and configuring NFS for SharePoint Granular Recovery
- About configuring Services for Network File System (NFS) on Windows 2012, 2012 R2, or 2016
- About configuring Services for Network File System (NFS) on Windows 2008 and 2008 R2
- Configuring NetBackup for SharePoint Server
- Configuring a SharePoint backup that uses Granular Recovery Technology (GRT)
- Configuring SharePoint client host properties
- Configuring NetBackup for SharePoint backup policies
- About configuring a backup policy for SharePoint
- Adding schedules to a NetBackup for SharePoint policy
- Creating a backup selections list for a SharePoint Server policy
- Performing backups and restores of SharePoint Server and SharePoint Foundation
- About user-directed backups of SharePoint Server and SharePoint Foundation
- About restores of SharePoint Server and SharePoint Foundation
- Protecting SharePoint Server data with VMware backups
- About protecting SharePoint Server data with VMware backups
- About configuring a VMware backup that protects SharePoint Server
- Disaster recovery
- About NetBackup for SharePoint debug logging
- About NetBackup status reports
Features of NetBackup for SharePoint
Table: NetBackup for SharePoint Agent features describes the features for the NetBackup for SharePoint Agent.
Table: NetBackup for SharePoint Agent features
SharePoint Server objects can be backed up without taking the SharePoint Server offline. SharePoint services and data are available during the backup.
SharePoint Server backup methods
NetBackup supports full and differential-incremental backups of SharePoint.
Tight NetBackup integration
Tight integration with NetBackup means the following:
You can administer the backup and recovery of multiple SharePoint Server installations from a central location.
SharePoint Server backups are saved directly to a wide variety of storage devices that NetBackup supports.
Administrators can set up schedules for automatic, unattended backups for local or remote clients across the network. These backups are managed entirely by the NetBackup server from a central location. The administrator can also manually back up the clients. Auto discovery is used for SharePoint Server installations. The topology is read from the SharePoint front-end Web server and the backup selection list is automatically built.
A user can perform backups of SharePoint Server resources through the Backup, Archive, and Restore client interface on the front-end Web server.
Backups and restores of standalone SharePoint Foundation or Windows SharePoint Services (WSS)
NetBackup can back up and restore standalone installations of SharePoint Foundation or Windows SharePoint Services.
Support for VMware backups that protect SharePoint
VMware backups that protect SharePoint Server provide granular recovery, complete protection of the farm, and protection of the SharePoint components in the Windows files system.
Compression of backups
Compression increases backup performance over the network and reduces the size of the backup image that is stored on the disk or tape. NetBackup does not support compression of the backups that use Granular Recovery Technology (GRT).
When the Encryption attribute is enabled, the server encrypts the backup for the clients that are listed in the policy. NetBackup does not support encryption of any backups that use GRT.
An administrator who uses the Backup, Archive, and Restore interface can browse SharePoint Server backups and select the ones to restore.
Support for NetBackup Accelerator with VMware backups
NetBackup Accelerator can reduce by up to 90% the time it takes to perform a VMware backup that protects SharePoint. By reducing the backup time, it is easier to perform the VMware backup within the backup window. Accelerator support for SharePoint currently restricts backups to the full schedule type. This restriction also exists for a VMware backup that protects SharePoint without Accelerator.
Restores of individual items and document sets using Granular Recovery Technology (GRT)
When a backup uses GRT, users can restore individual lists, items, and documents sets directly from any full database backup of a Web application. This feature adds an extra step that identifies the items within the database. This step lets you recover individual items later. (Note that you must create a separate backup for the full farm.)
Support for claims-based authentication
Claims-based authentication (CBA) is now supported for web applications in SharePoint. The following providers are supported:
You can redirect the restore of the following:
Backup and recovery of SharePoint Server databases are fully supported in a multi-tenant environment. NetBackup does not support GRT with Microsoft SharePoint Server backups in a multi-tenant SharePoint environment.
Support for any backups that were created with previous NetBackup versions
You can restore the backups that were created with previous versions of NetBackup, for example, 8.0. However, NetBackup 8.1 and later features are not supported with any backups that were created with previous versions.