NetBackup™ Web UI Microsoft SQL Server Administrator's Guide
- Introducing the NetBackup web user interface
- About NetBackup for SQL Server
- Installation and host configuration
- Monitoring and notifications
- Managing SQL Server discovery and credentials
- About discovery of SQL Server objects
- Managing protection plans for SQL Server
- Create a protection plan to protect SQL Server assets
- Protecting SQL Server
- Restoring SQL Server
- Using instant access with SQL Server
- Prerequisites when you configure an instant access SQL Server database
- Protecting SQL Server with VMware backups
- Create a protection plan to protect SQL Server data with a VMware backup
Create a protection plan to protect SQL Server data with a VMware backup
A VMware protection plan can protect SQL Server data on a virtual machine. Users can then subscribe assets to that protection plan. Note that before you create a protection plan, you must perform additional configuration requirements:
Configure all storage options.
Configure the logon account for the NetBackup services.
See Configuring the NetBackup services for SQL Server backups and restores.
Review the auto-discovered mappings for the hosts in your environment.
This action requires a security administrator or a role with similar RBAC permissions.
To create a protection plan to protect SQL Server data with a VMware backup
- Configure the storage for the backup.
- On the left, select Protection > Protection plans and then click Add.
- In Basic properties, enter a Name, Description.
- From the Workload list, select VMware.
- (Optional) Indicate a Policy name prefix to append to the policy name. NetBackup automatically creates a policy when users subscribe assets to this protection plan.
- In Schedules and retention, click Add schedule.
In the Attributes tab, select the Full backup type.
In the Start window tab, define the window during which the backup can start.
Click Save after all options are selected in the Attributes and the Start window tabs.
Review the Backup schedule preview window and verify that all schedules are set correctly.
- In Storage options, select the storage to use for the backup.
A protection plan can only use the storage that a NetBackup 8.1.2 or newer media server can access.
OpenStorage is required for this option. Tape, storage unit groups, and Replication Director not supported.
Click Edit. Select the storage target then click Use selected storage.
- In Backup options, review the available options for the backup.
- Under Allow restore of application data from virtual machine backups, select Microsoft SQL Server
(Optional) Select Truncate logs if you want to truncate the transaction logs when the VMware snapshot of the virtual machine is complete.
- In Permissions, review the roles that have access to protection plans.
To give another role access to this protection plan, click Add. Select the Role in the table and customize the role by adding or removing permissions in the Select permissions section.
See Configure RBAC.
- In Review, verify that the protection plan details are correct and click Save.