Veritas NetBackup™ for VMware Administrator's Guide
- Required tasks: overview
- Notes and prerequisites
- Configure NetBackup communication with VMware
- Adding NetBackup credentials for VMware
- Configure NetBackup policies for VMware
- VMware backup options
- Exclude Disks tab
- Configure a VMware Intelligent Policy
- Reduce the size of backups
- Back up virtual machines
- Use Accelerator to back up virtual machines
- Restore virtual machines
- Restoring the full VMware virtual machine
- Virtual Machine Recovery dialog boxes (restore to original location)
- Virtual Machine Recovery dialogs boxes (restore to alternate location)
- Restoring VMware virtual machine disks by using Backup, Archive, and Restore
- Restoring VMware virtual machine disks by using NetBackup commands
- Restoring individual VMware virtual machine files
- Browse and search virtual machines for restore
- Restore virtual machines with Instant Recovery
- Use NetBackup for vCloud Director
- Virtual machine recovery dialog boxes for vCloud Director
- Best practices and more information
- Appendix A. NetBackup commands to back up and restore virtual machines
- Using NetBackup commands to create a VMware policy
- Appendix B. Configuring services for NFS on Windows
- About configuring services for NFS on Windows 2012 or 2016 (NetBackup for VMware)
- About configuring services for NFS on Windows 2008 and 2008 R2 (NetBackup for VMware)
- Appendix C. The Reuse VM selection query results option
- Appendix D. Backup of VMware raw devices (RDM)
Query rules for tags
Be aware of the following rules when you use tags in your queries:
If you use VMware tags, you can base your backup selections on these tags. Be aware these tags are case-sensitive, so
UNIXis different from
When NetBackup uses tags to select virtual machines, the selection is based only on tag names. The selection is independent of the category.
Virtual_machine_1 has a user-specified tag HR from the category production.
Virtual_machine_2 has a user-specified tag HR from the category test.
Queries that select virtual machines with the tag HR select both virtual machines.
NetBackup uses a different VMware interface to access tag information from vCenter Servers than is used for other query fields. Therefore, tag related calls to the vCenter Server execute only if they are required. Calls are skipped if the query is satisfied without the tag information. NetBackup only collects this information once per vCenter Server. NetBackup collects tag metadata as part of virtual machine backup, but it collects tag metadata only from those vCenter Servers for which a virtual machine is selected. If no virtual machine is selected from a vCenter Server and tags are not used in the query then tag metadata is not collected from that vCenter Server.
Example 1: Tag Equal "Production" OR Powerstate Equal poweredOn
Example 2: Powerstate Equal poweredOn OR Tag Equal "Production"
In Example 1, NetBackup retrieves virtual machine data as well as tag data from each virtual server for which it has credentials.
In Example 2, NetBackup retrieves virtual machine data for each virtual server for which it has credentials. But NetBackup only needs to retrieve tag data for virtual machines where the Powerstate is not equal to poweredOn.