Veritas NetBackup™ for VMware Administrator's Guide
- Required tasks: overview
- Notes and prerequisites
- Configure NetBackup communication with VMware
- Adding NetBackup credentials for VMware
- Configure NetBackup policies for VMware
- VMware backup options
- Exclude Disks tab
- Configure a VMware Intelligent Policy
- Reduce the size of backups
- Back up virtual machines
- Use Accelerator to back up virtual machines
- Restore virtual machines
- Restoring the full VMware virtual machine
- Virtual Machine Recovery dialog boxes (restore to original location)
- Virtual Machine Recovery dialogs boxes (restore to alternate location)
- Restoring VMware virtual machine disks by using Backup, Archive, and Restore
- Restoring VMware virtual machine disks by using NetBackup commands
- Restoring individual VMware virtual machine files
- Browse and search virtual machines for restore
- Restore virtual machines with Instant Recovery
- Use NetBackup for vCloud Director
- Virtual machine recovery dialog boxes for vCloud Director
- Best practices and more information
- Appendix A. NetBackup commands to back up and restore virtual machines
- Using NetBackup commands to create a VMware policy
- Appendix B. Configuring services for NFS on Windows
- About configuring services for NFS on Windows 2012 or 2016 (NetBackup for VMware)
- About configuring services for NFS on Windows 2008 and 2008 R2 (NetBackup for VMware)
- Appendix C. The Reuse VM selection query results option
- Appendix D. Backup of VMware raw devices (RDM)
Backing up virtual machines
This topic applies to NetBackup for VMware.
To create the policy, you can use the Policies utility in the NetBackup Administration Console, or the Policy Configuration Wizard.
For further information on policies and backup schedules, see the "Creating backup policies" chapter of the NetBackup Administrator's Guide, Volume I.
To back up a virtual machine manually from an existing policy
- Click on Policies in the NetBackup Administration Console, right-click on the policy, and click Manual Backup....
The Manual Backup dialog appears.
- Select the type of schedule for the backup.
- Select the clients (virtual machines) to back up.
If the policy was configured for automatic selection of virtual machines, the Clients pane shows the VMware backup host rather than the virtual machines.
- Click OK to start the backup.
- To see the job progress, click Activity Monitor in the NetBackup Administration Console.
It may take a few moments for the job to appear in the Activity Monitor. Do not start another backup if a job does not immediately appear. If the job does not show up after a few moments, close and restart the NetBackup Administration Console.
Note that your VMware backup request launches more than one job. The first job automatically creates and deletes snapshots. This job has a dash (-) in the Schedule column. The second job backs up the virtual machine files from the snapshot.