Veritas NetBackup™ for VMware Administrator's Guide
- Required tasks: overview
- Notes and prerequisites
- Configure NetBackup communication with VMware
- Adding NetBackup credentials for VMware
- Configure NetBackup policies for VMware
- VMware backup options
- Exclude Disks tab
- Configure a VMware Intelligent Policy
- Reduce the size of backups
- Back up virtual machines
- Use Accelerator to back up virtual machines
- Restore virtual machines
- Restoring the full VMware virtual machine
- Virtual Machine Recovery dialog boxes (restore to original location)
- Virtual Machine Recovery dialogs boxes (restore to alternate location)
- Restoring VMware virtual machine disks by using Backup, Archive, and Restore
- Restoring VMware virtual machine disks by using NetBackup commands
- Restoring individual VMware virtual machine files
- Browse and search virtual machines for restore
- Restore virtual machines with Instant Recovery
- Use NetBackup for vCloud Director
- Virtual machine recovery dialog boxes for vCloud Director
- Best practices and more information
- Appendix A. NetBackup commands to back up and restore virtual machines
- Using NetBackup commands to create a VMware policy
- Appendix B. Configuring services for NFS on Windows
- About configuring services for NFS on Windows 2012 or 2016 (NetBackup for VMware)
- About configuring services for NFS on Windows 2008 and 2008 R2 (NetBackup for VMware)
- Appendix C. The Reuse VM selection query results option
- Appendix D. Backup of VMware raw devices (RDM)
Test Query screen for VMware
This topic applies to policy configuration for NetBackup for VMware. You can use the Query Builder to enter rules for the automatic selection of VMware virtual machines for backup. Use the Test Query screen to test the rules.
This screen lists the virtual machines that NetBackup discovered in your virtual environment when you clicked Test Query. Later changes in the virtual environment may affect which virtual machines match the query rules. For example: if virtual machines are added, the test results may not be identical to the virtual machines that are selected for backup when the backup runs.
When the next backup runs from this policy, the following occur: NetBackup re-discovers virtual machines, consults the query rules, and backs up the virtual machines that match the rules.
The list of backed up virtual machines is saved but the virtual machines are not displayed in the policy's Clients tab. You can use the Activity Monitor to view the virtual machine jobs, or you can run a Virtual Client Summary report in OpsCenter.
The Test Query function runs in the background. You can continue to configure the policy while the test runs. Any changes you make in the Query Builder however are not included in the currently running test. You must re-initiate the test to see the results of your Query Builder changes.
Test query for policy
Lists the rules in the Query Builder that were used in this test. The rules are specified in the Query Builder on the policy Clients tab.
Test Query Results
VM Name: Shows the display name of all discovered virtual machines.
Selection: Lists the virtual machines that were discovered, as follows:
Gives a tally of how many virtual machines were included, excluded, or failed in the test.