Veritas NetBackup™ for VMware Administrator's Guide
- Required tasks: overview
- Notes and prerequisites
- Configure NetBackup communication with VMware
- Adding NetBackup credentials for VMware
- Configure NetBackup policies for VMware
- VMware backup options
- Exclude Disks tab
- Configure a VMware Intelligent Policy
- Reduce the size of backups
- Back up virtual machines
- Use Accelerator to back up virtual machines
- Restore virtual machines
- Restoring the full VMware virtual machine
- Virtual Machine Recovery dialog boxes (restore to original location)
- Virtual Machine Recovery dialogs boxes (restore to alternate location)
- Restoring VMware virtual machine disks by using Backup, Archive, and Restore
- Restoring VMware virtual machine disks by using NetBackup commands
- Restoring individual VMware virtual machine files
- Browse and search virtual machines for restore
- Restore virtual machines with Instant Recovery
- Use NetBackup for vCloud Director
- Virtual machine recovery dialog boxes for vCloud Director
- Best practices and more information
- Appendix A. NetBackup commands to back up and restore virtual machines
- Using NetBackup commands to create a VMware policy
- Appendix B. Configuring services for NFS on Windows
- About configuring services for NFS on Windows 2012 or 2016 (NetBackup for VMware)
- About configuring services for NFS on Windows 2008 and 2008 R2 (NetBackup for VMware)
- Appendix C. The Reuse VM selection query results option
- Appendix D. Backup of VMware raw devices (RDM)
Restoring VMware virtual machine disks by using NetBackup commands
This restore method requires that you describe in a text file the parameters of the restore and then use a NetBackup command to restore the disks. The file in which you describe the restore includes the following information:
The backup image from which you want to restore.
The target VM if restoring to an existing VM.
The virtual machine disks to restore.
Other parameters that control aspects of the restore.
The NetBackup nbrestorevm command includes an option that you can use to create the required restore parameters file from a backup image. The NetBackup nbrestorevm command then reads that file to accomplish the restore.
Table: Restore VMware virtual machine disk process
Optionally, determine the ID of the backup image from which to create the restore parameters file. If you want to use a date range to specify the backup image, you do not have to perform this task.
Create the file that describes the parameters of the restore. You use the file as input for the command that restores the virtual disks.
Modify the parameters of the virtual machine disk restore file. You must modify the file to describe your specific restore instance.
Validate the virtual machine disk restore file to ensure that the restore occurs correctly.
Restore the disk or disks.