Veritas NetBackup™ for VMware Administrator's Guide
- Required tasks: overview
- Notes and prerequisites
- Configure NetBackup communication with VMware
- Adding NetBackup credentials for VMware
- Configure NetBackup policies for VMware
- VMware backup options
- Exclude Disks tab
- Configure a VMware Intelligent Policy
- Reduce the size of backups
- Back up virtual machines
- Use Accelerator to back up virtual machines
- Restore virtual machines
- Restoring the full VMware virtual machine
- Virtual Machine Recovery dialog boxes (restore to original location)
- Virtual Machine Recovery dialogs boxes (restore to alternate location)
- Restoring VMware virtual machine disks by using Backup, Archive, and Restore
- Restoring VMware virtual machine disks by using NetBackup commands
- Restoring individual VMware virtual machine files
- Browse and search virtual machines for restore
- Restore virtual machines with Instant Recovery
- Use NetBackup for vCloud Director
- Virtual machine recovery dialog boxes for vCloud Director
- Best practices and more information
- Appendix A. NetBackup commands to back up and restore virtual machines
- Using NetBackup commands to create a VMware policy
- Appendix B. Configuring services for NFS on Windows
- About configuring services for NFS on Windows 2012 or 2016 (NetBackup for VMware)
- About configuring services for NFS on Windows 2008 and 2008 R2 (NetBackup for VMware)
- Appendix C. The Reuse VM selection query results option
- Appendix D. Backup of VMware raw devices (RDM)
About the Reuse VM selection query results option
This topic applies to NetBackup for VMware.
The NetBackup Test Query screen lists the virtual machines that NetBackup discovered in your virtual environment. Because the automatic selection feature is dynamic, later changes in the environment may affect which virtual machines match the query rules. For example: if virtual machines are added later, the current test results may not be identical to the virtual machines that are selected when the backup runs.
During the period you specify on Reuse VM selection query results for, NetBackup reuses the current list of virtual machines as the backup list. It does not consult the Query Builder or rediscover virtual machines.
The less often your virtual machine environment undergoes changes, the more advantageous it may be to reuse the list of virtual machines for backups. In large environments, discovery of virtual machines takes time and consumes resources on the vCenter server.
Note the following about the Reuse VM selection query results option:
Determines how long the query results are reused (that is, how often the list of discovered virtual machines is refreshed).
Controls how often NetBackup performs discovery on the vCenter server.
For the environments that contain many virtual machines, the discovery process may increase the load on the vCenter server.
Has no effect on the NetBackup policy execution schedule.
Is invalidated if the query rules are changed or if the policy attributes that affect discovery are changed. In that case, NetBackup rediscovers virtual machines the next time the policy runs.
The following topic describes the policy attributes that affect discovery:
For example: assume that theoption is set to 8 hours and your query selects turned-on virtual machines. If additional virtual machines are turned on during the 8-hour period, they are not added to the policy's backup list. The policy backs up the virtual machines that were last added to the list (such as when the policy was created). After 8 hours, at the next execution of the policy, the recently turned on virtual machines are discovered and added to the backup list.
If the next backup occurs before the Reuse period expires, and a virtual machine was renamed during the Reuse period, NetBackup backs up the renamed virtual machine under its original name. Because the reuse period has not expired, NetBackup does not rediscover virtual machines and therefore cannot identify the virtual machine by its new name. (NetBackup identifies the virtual machine by its instance UUID.) To have backed up the virtual machine with its new name, the Reuse period should have been set to a shorter interval.
Note: The virtual machines that have been selected for backup are not displayed on the policy Clients tab. To see which virtual machines NetBackup has selected and backed up, refer to the following topics.