Veritas NetBackup™ for VMware Administrator's Guide
- Required tasks: overview
- Notes and prerequisites
- Configure NetBackup communication with VMware
- Adding NetBackup credentials for VMware
- Configure NetBackup policies for VMware
- VMware backup options
- Exclude Disks tab
- Configure a VMware Intelligent Policy
- Reduce the size of backups
- Back up virtual machines
- Use Accelerator to back up virtual machines
- Restore virtual machines
- Restoring the full VMware virtual machine
- Virtual Machine Recovery dialog boxes (restore to original location)
- Virtual Machine Recovery dialogs boxes (restore to alternate location)
- Restoring VMware virtual machine disks by using Backup, Archive, and Restore
- Restoring VMware virtual machine disks by using NetBackup commands
- Restoring individual VMware virtual machine files
- Browse and search virtual machines for restore
- Restore virtual machines with Instant Recovery
- Use NetBackup for vCloud Director
- Virtual machine recovery dialog boxes for vCloud Director
- Best practices and more information
- Appendix A. NetBackup commands to back up and restore virtual machines
- Using NetBackup commands to create a VMware policy
- Appendix B. Configuring services for NFS on Windows
- About configuring services for NFS on Windows 2012 or 2016 (NetBackup for VMware)
- About configuring services for NFS on Windows 2008 and 2008 R2 (NetBackup for VMware)
- Appendix C. The Reuse VM selection query results option
- Appendix D. Backup of VMware raw devices (RDM)
About reducing the size of VMware backups
This topic applies to policy configuration for NetBackup for VMware.
Table: Options for reducing the virtual machine backup size
Block level incremental backup (BLIB)
BLIB reduces the size of backups (full and incremental) by tracking block-level changes. Only the blocks that have changed since the last full or incremental are included in the backup. For incremental backups, this option applies to cumulative and to differential backups.
The VMware tab. NetBackup uses BLIB for storage optimization when the backup runs.option is enabled by default on the NetBackup policy
The first backup you run with BLIB must be a full backup.
BLIB works only with ESX 4.0 or later virtual machines at version vmx-07 or later.
If you used vSphere Client to manually create a VM snapshot and that snapshot is currently active, you may have to delete the snapshot.
Exclusion of deleted blocks.
Reduces the size of virtual machine backups by excluding any deleted sectors in the file system on the virtual machine.
To enable this option, click VMware tab.on the policy
Refer to Exclude deleted blocks in the following topic: