Veritas NetBackup™ for VMware Administrator's Guide
- Required tasks: overview
- Notes and prerequisites
- Configure NetBackup communication with VMware
- Adding NetBackup credentials for VMware
- Configure NetBackup policies for VMware
- VMware backup options
- Exclude Disks tab
- Configure a VMware Intelligent Policy
- Reduce the size of backups
- Back up virtual machines
- Use Accelerator to back up virtual machines
- Restore virtual machines
- Restoring the full VMware virtual machine
- Virtual Machine Recovery dialog boxes (restore to original location)
- Virtual Machine Recovery dialogs boxes (restore to alternate location)
- Restoring VMware virtual machine disks by using Backup, Archive, and Restore
- Restoring VMware virtual machine disks by using NetBackup commands
- Restoring individual VMware virtual machine files
- Browse and search virtual machines for restore
- Restore virtual machines with Instant Recovery
- Use NetBackup for vCloud Director
- Virtual machine recovery dialog boxes for vCloud Director
- Best practices and more information
- Appendix A. NetBackup commands to back up and restore virtual machines
- Using NetBackup commands to create a VMware policy
- Appendix B. Configuring services for NFS on Windows
- About configuring services for NFS on Windows 2012 or 2016 (NetBackup for VMware)
- About configuring services for NFS on Windows 2008 and 2008 R2 (NetBackup for VMware)
- Appendix C. The Reuse VM selection query results option
- Appendix D. Backup of VMware raw devices (RDM)
Overview of NetBackup tasks
Table: NetBackup tasks lists the NetBackup configuration tasks for VMware. These tasks are described in other NetBackup topics and guides, as indicated.
Table: NetBackup tasks
Install the NetBackup master server and media server.
See the NetBackup Installation Guide.
Veritas recommends that the NetBackup media server and the VMware backup host be installed on the same host.
Install the NetBackup Enterprise Client license on the master server, and install NetBackup client software on the VMware backup host.
Add the VMware backup host to your NetBackup configuration.
This step is not required on the appliance: the backup host is already installed on the appliance.
Enter NetBackup access credentials as needed: for VMware vCenter, for vCloud Director, and for individual ESX servers.
The NetBackup master server must have network access to the VMware servers that NetBackup has credentials for.
Create a NetBackup policy for VMware.
Perform a backup or restore.
Recheck the configuration.