Veritas NetBackup™ for VMware Administrator's Guide
- Required tasks: overview
- Notes and prerequisites
- Configure NetBackup communication with VMware
- Adding NetBackup credentials for VMware
- Configure NetBackup policies for VMware
- VMware backup options
- Exclude Disks tab
- Configure a VMware Intelligent Policy
- Reduce the size of backups
- Back up virtual machines
- Use Accelerator to back up virtual machines
- Restore virtual machines
- Restoring the full VMware virtual machine
- Virtual Machine Recovery dialog boxes (restore to original location)
- Virtual Machine Recovery dialogs boxes (restore to alternate location)
- Restoring VMware virtual machine disks by using Backup, Archive, and Restore
- Restoring VMware virtual machine disks by using NetBackup commands
- Restoring individual VMware virtual machine files
- Browse and search virtual machines for restore
- Restore virtual machines with Instant Recovery
- Use NetBackup for vCloud Director
- Virtual machine recovery dialog boxes for vCloud Director
- Best practices and more information
- Appendix A. NetBackup commands to back up and restore virtual machines
- Using NetBackup commands to create a VMware policy
- Appendix B. Configuring services for NFS on Windows
- About configuring services for NFS on Windows 2012 or 2016 (NetBackup for VMware)
- About configuring services for NFS on Windows 2008 and 2008 R2 (NetBackup for VMware)
- Appendix C. The Reuse VM selection query results option
- Appendix D. Backup of VMware raw devices (RDM)
Configuring a VMware policy from the Policies utility
Use the Policy Configuration Wizard.
To configure a policy for Replication Director, see the NetBackup Replication Director Solutions Guide.
To configure a policy to back up the virtual machine
- In the NetBackup Administration Console, click Policies and select Actions > New > Policy.
- Enter a name for the policy.
- For Policy type, select VMware.
- Select a policy storage unit or storage unit group.
Storage unit groups are described in the NetBackup Administrator's Guide, Volume I.
- In most cases, you can leave the Disable client-side deduplication option at the default (unchecked).
The Disable client-side deduplication option is described in the NetBackup Administrator's Guide, Volume I.
- To enable the Accelerator, click Use Accelerator.
When you click Use Accelerator, the Enable block-level incremental backup option on the VMware tab is selected and grayed out.
- Click the VMware tab.
Use this dialog to set VMware-related options.
- Click the Exclude Disks tab.
Use this tab to exclude disks from the backups.
See Exclude Disks tab.
- To define a schedule, click the Schedules tab and click New.
For assistance with the Accelerator forced rescan option:
Enable file recovery from VM backup, or
Enable block-level incremental backup.
Enable block-level incremental backup requires an ESX server 4.0 and a virtual machine at vmx-07 or later.
The following topic contains additional information.
- Click the Clients tab to select the virtual machines to back up.
Select manually, and click New.
The Browse for VMware Virtual Machines screen appears. You can type the host name in the Enter the VMware hostname field, or click Browse and select virtual machine.
The Backup Selections tab is set to ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES. Individual drives cannot be specified.
Select automatically through VMware Intelligent Policy query
With this option, NetBackup can automatically select virtual machines for backup based on the filtering criteria that you enter. The following topics explain how to specify the criteria:
The Backup Selections tab is filled in with the filtering rules from the query. NetBackup uses the ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES directive to back up the virtual machines.
Enable vCloud Director integration
Enables backup of the virtual machines that reside in a vCloud environment. Requires the automatic selection of virtual machines.
With this option, the policy selects for backup only the virtual machines that vCloud manages: it skips the virtual machines that are not in vCloud.
NetBackup host to perform automatic virtual machine selection
This option appears when you click Select automatically through VMware Intelligent Policy query.
This host discovers virtual machines and automatically selects them for backup based on the query rules.
- When you click OK, a validation process checks the policy and reports any errors. If you click Cancel, no validation is performed.