VCS-285: Veritas NetBackup 10.x and NetBackup Appliance 5.x Administrator
Although each product varies in complexity and depth of technical knowledge, all certification exams target customers in an administrative role and cover core elements measuring technical knowledge against factors such as configuration, product administration, day-to-day monitoring, maintenance, and basic troubleshooting (diagnosis and/or repair).
This program consists of technical exams at a product/version level that validate that the successful candidate has knowledge and skills necessary to configure and maintain NetBackup version 10.x and NetBackup Appliances 5.x.
Passing this exam will result in a Veritas Certified Specialist (VCS) certification and counts towards the requirements for a Veritas Certified Professional (VCP) certification in Data Protection.
No. of Questions: 80 - 90
Exam Duration: 105 minutes
Passing Score: 65%
Exam Price: $200 USD (or your country’s currency equivalent)
Note regarding recommended training course: If you do not have prior experience with this product, it is recommended that you complete an in-person, classroom training, online self-paced training, or virtual classroom class in preparation for the VCS exam. Be cautioned that attendance in a training course does not guarantee passage of a certification exam..
Recommended preparation steps:
- Exam Preparation Guide (PDF): Download and review the guide to understand the scope of topics covered in the certification exam and how they map to the key lessons and topics in the associated training course(s).
- Attend recommended training classes listed above.
- Gain hands-on experience with the product. 6-9 months experience administering NetBackup 10.x and NetBackup Appliances 5.x is recommended.
- Sample Exam (PDF): Test yourself and your exam-taking skills using the sample exam.
In addition, you should be familiar with the following product documentation and web sites:
Recommended hands-on experience (real world or virtual):
- Troubleshoot or diagnose basic NetBackup issues
- Access and install NetBackup release updates
- Manage and configure VxUpdate for automated upgrades
- Access NetBackup documentation and the online Knowledge Base
- Configure a backup of the NetBackup catalog
- Modify basic NetBackup behavior using host properties (e.g., jobs per client, general attributes, media overwrite)
- Configure Storage Lifecycle Policies including AIR
- Configure Protection Plans
- Perform restores for file systems and VMware
- Describe NetBackup product features, options, transport modes, and advanced file system backup methods
- Configure devices, storage units, volumes, and volume pools using the NetBackup Administration Console
- Manage NetBackup security certificates
- Describe basic NetBackup architecture
- Configure storage servers and disk pools including media server and client-side deduplication
- Configure backup policy attributes, schedules, clients, and backup selection lists
- Run and monitor backups, duplications, replications and restores
- Monitor daily activity and availability of the NetBackup environment by analyzing reports and reviewing activity logs
- Manage and maintain disk storage devices
- Configure Anomaly and Malware Detection
- Describe the functionality of NetBackup Appliances
- Monitor, configure and manage NetBackup Appliances including Appliance