Veritas NetBackup™ OpsCenter Reporting Guide
- Reporting in OpsCenter
- About OpsCenter reports
- About managing reports in OpsCenter
- About managing My Reports
- About managing My Dashboard
- About managing reports folders in OpsCenter
- About managing report schedules in OpsCenter
- About managing time schedules in OpsCenter
- OpsCenter reports
- Report Templates in OpsCenter
- About Report Templates descriptions
- About Audit reports
- About Backup reports in OpsCenter
- Job Activity > Variance > Backup Duration Variance report
- Job Activity > Variance > Backup Job Size Variance report
- Job Browser > Tabular Backup Report
- Status & Success Rate > Status > Week At A Glance report
- Status & Success Rate > Status > Job Attempt Status Detail report
- About Catalog reports in OpsCenter
- About Chargeback reports in OpsCenter
- About Client reports in OpsCenter
- Risk Analysis > Client Coverage report
- Virtual Client Summary report
- Job Success by Client report
- BMR client configuration backup failures report
- About Cloud reports
- About Disk and Tape Device Activity reports in OpsCenter
- About Media reports in OpsCenter
- About Performance reports in OpsCenter
- About Policy reports in OpsCenter
- About Restore reports in OpsCenter
- About Storage Lifecycle Policy reports
- Limitations of SLP reports
- About Workload Analyzer reports in OpsCenter
- Custom reports in OpsCenter Analytics
- Creating a custom report in OpsCenter
- About Custom Report Wizard parameters
- Creating a custom report in OpsCenter
Disk and Tape Device Activity > Tape Drive Utilization Report
Tape drives are still very popular as backup destinations and are moderately expensive especially if new drives are purchased each time a new update is available such as moving from LTO3 to LTO4. Many times when backup windows are not being met the first thing suggested is more tape drives. What we have found is that in most cases customers are under-utilizing the tape drive investment either due to time of day considerations - i.e. backups cannot run during the day due to performance issues - or they simply have too few Media Servers. OpsCenter and OpsCenter Analytics have a number of drive utilization and throughput reports that can show at a glance when tape drives are being used, and if there are large gaps in usage that could be filled up with changes to the backup Policies. This can help not only fully utilize the drives, but defer a hardware purchase since it is easy to see when the drives have open cycles.
This report shows the utilization (0 - 100%) of tape drives. The report uses the "heat map" concept and depicts ranges of utilization (low to high) through configurable shades of blue for example. Reports are based on either Hour-Of-Day or Day-of- Week. Advanced logic is used to determine the utilization values for each cell in the report. Utilization is calculated off a per minute basis ensuring precision in calculations versus traditional methods of periodic polling of the devices. The reports can be aggregated and filtered at the Tape Library, Media Server, Drive Type, Logical Drive, and Physical Drive levels. The sort options allow for intuitive presentation of voluminous data. These reports are important sources of information for performance analysis and capacity planning activities.
Note that the Tape Drive Utilization report displays data only till 1 A.M. and not till the time when you run the report. This is because OpsCenter collects data for Tape Drive Utilization report once per day at 1 A.M..after midnight. Therefore the Tape Drive Utilization report is only able to report on data up until 1 AM on that day, even when run with a relative timeframe of Previous 24 hours. Similarly if you run Tape Drive Utilization report at 2 P.M. in the afternoon, the reports display data collected till 1 A.M. only.
Figure: Drive Utilization Report shows a sample view of Tape Drive Utilization Report.
The following are the details that are associated with the Drive Utilization report:
Tape Drive Utilization
Disk and Tape Device Activity
Where to Locate
Report > Report Templates > Disk and Tape Device Activity > Tape Drive Utilization.
A heat-map report showing drive utilization by library, media server, tape drive and drive type. Darker colour signifies higher utilization of drive for a particular time.
NetBackup, NetBackup Master Appliance
Drill down report
Can be scheduled
Mapping with VBR report
All Reports > Standard Report > > Backups > Tape Device Activity > Drive Utilization
You can edit the Drive Utilization report to show or hide the columns that you are interested in. All the columns are shown by default. You can also filter the report to view reports of specific master servers. The following table shows the filters for Drive Utilization report and how you can use these filters to view specific data in the report.
Select a view to show data for the selected view in the report. By default All My Views is selected.
Select one or more master servers to view data for the virtual clients that are backed up by the selected master servers in the report. All master servers that are added to the OpsCenter console are shown in the Value drop-down list .
Select one or more policy names to view data for the selected policies.
Select one or more job types as Archive, Backup, or Restore to view data for the selected job types.
Select one or more drives to view the specific data on those drives.
Tape Library Serial Number
Select one or more tape library serial numbers to view the data specific for those tapes.
Example of filter usage: You may run the report for specific policy names to view the details only for a specific policy. You may run the report for tape drive utilization for a specific job type like Backup to view the details.
The following report enhancements have been made for the Drive Utilization report:
The option Next has been removed from the drop-down menu for Relative Timeframe. You now cannot enter a relative timeframe like next 2 weeks. This is because the report does not support any futuristic data.
The following filter enhancements have been made for the Tape Drive Utilization report:
Job types which are not applicable for this report are removed from the filter. The supported job types are Backup, Archive, Restore, Backup from Snapshot, Snapshot, Duplicate, and Replication.
UNKNOWN has been added as a value for Schedule Level/Type column in the Schedule filter. You can now filter report data for Schedule Level/Type that is UNKNOWN.