Enterprise Vault™ Guide for Outlook Users (Full Functionality)
- Introducing Veritas Enterprise Vault
- Setting up Enterprise Vault
- Enterprise Vault options and mailbox icons
- Working with archived items
- Storing and restoring items
- Managing Enterprise Vault archiving
- PST file migration
Restoring your archived items
You do not normally need to restore archived items to your mailbox, as you can view them easily from their shortcuts or from Virtual Vault. If you do restore items, they are restored in their original format. For example, if a restored item is a mail message, you can still reply as normal.
You can restore archived items in either of the following ways:
By using their shortcuts. You can restore items from shortcuts to the current folder (where the shortcuts are), or to another folder. You can also restore items from shortcuts to a special Enterprise Vault folder that is named Restored Items. If the Restored Items folder does not exist, Enterprise Vault automatically creates it. You can also choose to delete the shortcuts when the items have been restored.
By using the normal Outlook actions to copy or move the items from your Virtual Vault to your mailbox.
If you want to restore items to a public folder, you must have Owner access to the folder. If you do not have Owner access, you can copy a shortcut from a public folder to your mailbox. Then you can restore the item to your mailbox.
Enterprise Vault may take some time to restore any items that are stored offline.
To restore archived items from shortcuts using an Enterprise Vault option on the Outlook ribbon
- If the shortcuts are in a public folder or a PST file, copy them to a folder in your mailbox.
- In your mailbox, select shortcuts to items that you want to restore. Use the normal Outlook selection to select single or multiple shortcuts. You can include any items that are not shortcuts. Enterprise Vault ignores such items.
- On the Enterprise Vault tab, in the Actions group, click Restore. Or, on the More Actions menu, click Restore from Vault.
The Restore from Vault dialog box appears.
- Select the settings that you require. For details of the settings, click Help in the Restore from Vault dialog box.
- Click OK to confirm that you want to restore the items. The original items are restored to your mailbox.
To restore an archived item from its shortcut using the Enterprise Vault Office Mail App (Outlook 2013 and later)
- Select the shortcut.
- In the Enterprise Vault Office Mail App, click Restore. While restoring is in progress, you can click Cancel to stop Enterprise Vault completing the action.
To restore archived items from a Virtual Vault
- In your Virtual Vault, select the items that you want to restore. Use the normal Outlook selection to select single or multiple items.
- Use any of the normal Outlook actions to move or copy the items into your mailbox.
For example, you can restore the items in the following ways:
To move the items, drag them into the mailbox folder where you want to restore them. Or right-click them, and then click Move to Folder and select a mailbox folder in the Move Items dialog box.
To copy the items, hold down Ctrl and drag them into the mailbox folder where you want to restore them.