Flexible backup for demanding environments
NetBackup Appliances give organizations an efficient turnkey solution for backup, storage, and deduplication.
Providing simple, cost-effective backup and recovery for the data center, remote offices, and virtual environments, these enterprise-class appliances continue to be one of the leaders in the integrated, purpose-built backup appliance (PBBA) market.
Curtail complexity and cost
Easily build and deploy your organization’s backup and deduplication strategy for effective information management. Leverage NetBackup Appliances to maximize IT staff time, operations, and storage investment.
Get integrated backup that works for you
Used by tens of thousands of organizations, Veritas NetBackup simplifies and strengthens data protection throughout the enterprise. NetBackup Appliances combine turnkey backup and recovery with deduplication solutions in an easy-to-deploy form factor, providing flexibility and cost savings.
- NetBackup 5200 series: A versatile, cost-optimized, integrated backup appliance that can be deployed for a NetBackup domain as a master server, media server, or both. In addition, it supports expanded storage capacity for deduplicated and non-deduplicated data.
- NetBackup 5300 series: A performance-optimized, integrated backup media server with high-density storage to support greater performance, capacity, and resiliency in the enterprise.
Why choose an integrated appliance?
Integrated systems are tightly integrated with backup software to orchestrate the backup and movement of data.
When comparing target versus integrated systems, implementing an integrated appliance for backup and recovery can be a better solution for customers wanting to simplify IT tasks, increase productivity, and reduce operating and capital expenditure costs.
Veritas white paper explores a structured approach to assessing the advantages of the integrated appliance model
Improve operational efficiency
NetBackup Appliances integrate multiple components into a single device, streamlining management, operation, and support—and saving you money and critical IT resources. Offering significant benefits over traditional build-your-own (BYO) media servers, NetBackup Appliances give organizations a way to cut costs and remove complexity.
NetBackup Appliances provide significant benefits over traditional build-your-own (BYO) media servers as organizations are able to:
- Implement faster deployments
- Reduce risk by minimizing planned and unplanned downtime
- Improve staff efficiencies and enhance service levels
Five areas of OpEx savings
Simplify common media server tasks, increase productivity, and save in five key areas:
- Acquisition: Eliminate ordering, approvals, scheduling, and delivery of separate media server components.
- Installation and integration: Eliminate the hassles of installing, integrating, testing, and performance tuning.
- Administration: Streamline administration with a single management console.
- Patching and firmware updates: Reduce compatibility issues for media servers’ components.
- Support: Eliminate finger-pointing among different product and component OEMs of a build-your-own backup server.
Versatile and cost optimized
The NetBackup 5230 Appliance simplifies backup and recovery and offers OpEx savings over traditional build-your-own media servers.
- Suitable for environments of any size: Expandable up to 148 TB of usable capacity, it is ideal for remote offices, regional offices, and enterprise data centers
- Multiple functional roles: Can be deployed as master server, media server, or both for a NetBackup environment
- Comprehensive: All-in-one solution simplifies software, hardware, services, and support
- Intelligent end-to-end deduplication: Reduces backup size by up to 50 times and bandwidth use by up to 99 percent
- Flexible deduplication options: Deduplication at source, media server, or target; inline or post-process
Consolidate and save
Multiple, disparate, point products increase cost and complexity. Veritas NetBackup Appliances enable consolidation of separate data-protection products into a single, unified data-protection platform.
- Reduce CapEx by consolidating multiple point products into a single appliance.
- Reduce OpEx by having fewer point products to manage, upgrade, and support.
- Faster scalability and performance as appliances are fully integrated and optimized for NetBackup.
The NetBackup 5300 Appliance series delivers high performance, scalability, and resiliency to address the most aggressive backup and recovery objectives in the data center.
Lower CapEx and fewer moving parts
Use all-in-one NetBackup Appliances to simplify media management, increase productivity, and provide significant cost savings.
- Backup software: Consolidate backup software products to a single platform.
- Disk storage: Replace virtual tape libraries, target deduplication storage, and back up disk storage with a single appliance.
- Tape: Reduce storage costs with Veritas deduplication.
- Data center space: Combine backup media servers, backup storage, and both deduplicated and non-deduplicated data into one appliance.
IDC Executive Brief highlights the evolution of data protection and how backup appliances can form a modern data protection architecture
Performance under pressure
The NetBackup 5300 Appliance series is an integrated-backup media server with storage to support greater performance, capacity, and resiliency requirements. Simplify and consolidate backup and increase CapEx savings by eliminating traditional point products.
- Scalable: Expandable to 229 TB usable capacity and designed for larger enterprises, data centers, and disaster recovery sites
- Robust: Greater performance compared to the NetBackup 5230—up to 3x faster backup, 5.8x faster recovery, and 4.9x faster replication
- Resilient: Enhanced system protection, deduplication pool, and storage
- Efficient: Delivers more TB per rack unit, reducing floor space requirements and lowering power and cooling costs
Reduce cost with greater usability
According to independent research from the Enterprise Strategy Group, IT organizations typically spend 64 percent of their budget on maintaining existing infrastructure, while only 36 percent is spent on new technologies that address operational challenges and provide competitive advantage
You work hard to balance strategic initiatives with limited staff and financial resources. With NetBackup and NetBackup Appliances, you can provide greater efficiency—freeing valuable staff time, reducing capital cost, and minimizing risk. Invest in your future.
Greater insight for greater control
Eliminate time-consuming administration of multiple components—server, storage, OS, and backup software. NetBackup Appliances provide a single user interface to streamline management of day-to-day tasks.
- Intelligent policies: NetBackup automatically discovers and protects new virtual machines and database instances and adapts to changing conditions.
- Replication director: Orchestrate hardware snapshots and replication operations to ensure snapshots are application-consistent and easy to restore.
- Auto image replication: Automate the process of moving data to another site for disaster recovery, merging data from multiple sources, and synchronizing catalog information to speed recovery.
Organizations that standardized on the NetBackup platform projected an average of 30 percent reduction in operating expenditures (OpEx) costs and received payback within 15 months after their initial investment.
Integrated appliances provide organizations with a single partner to contact for any support questions or issues. This greatly streamlines call resolution, getting you back to achieving your business objectives.
We’ve made several recent enhancements to improve troubleshooting, automate user support tasks, and provide quicker resolution to common support questions.
- Appliance Diagnostic Center: A single-window, wizard-based tool that helps in resolving appliance issues more effectively
- Veritas Help Center: A browser-based help delivery system with advanced search, autosuggest, and filtering capabilities for NetBackup Appliance features
- Call Home and AutoSupport: Enables a connection with the Veritas Operation Center to provide responsive support to system issues, actively monitoring the appliance for serviceable events
The only ENERGY STAR–certified integrated appliance
Your ability to deliver services is limited by a scarcity of resources and budget. Data center floor space, power usage, and cooling all need to be balanced to achieve larger strategic goals, despite limitations.
Energy-efficient integrated appliances allow you to replace older, inefficient technologies such as VTLs and target deduplication products.
The United States Environmental Protection Agency ENERGY STAR program provides an independent certification and enables IT organizations to easily compare data center products for energy efficiency.
The NetBackup 5330 Appliance, the only ENERGY STAR–certified purpose-built backup appliance, is an industry-leading backup solution that reduces floor space and power consumption, letting you do the most with your IT budget.
Not only does the NetBackup 5330 Appliance reduce power and cooling expenses compared to other backup appliances, it also has greater density to save valuable rack space. Supporting up to 916 TB usable capacity per rack, it gets you greater efficiency and less cost in the data center.
Fast deployment reduces time to market.
“We absolutely wanted the backup-appliance model because we can deploy it in less than a day. A traditional solution of separate backup software, server, and storage would take far longer and would not be practical for us.”
- Richard Morris, Solution Line Manager Colt Technology ServicesVIEW MORE
Faster deployment and simplified support
“The NetBackup solution was chosen because it combines backup software, deduplication, replication, servers, storage, and networking in an integrated, optimized 3U appliance. This speeds deployment and simplifies support.”
- James Mwaniki, Head of Group Network UAP GroupVIEW MORE
Single platform benefits
“We chose Veritas NetBackup Appliances because they combine software, server, storage, and deduplication in one pretested, integrated backup appliance. We deal with one vendor for all those components, and we gain the flexibility and service that we need.”
- Xie Pei, IT Manager China Everbright BankVIEW MORE