Veritas NetBackup™ SAN Client and Fibre Transport Guide
- Introducing SAN Client and Fibre Transport
- Planning your deployment
- About SAN Client storage destinations
- Preparing the SAN
- Licensing SAN Client and Fibre Transport
- Configuring SAN Client and Fibre Transport
- Configuring a Fibre Transport media server
- Configuring SAN clients
- Configuring SAN clients in a cluster
- Fibre Transport properties
- Configuring SAN client usage preferences
- Managing SAN clients and Fibre Transport
- Disabling SAN Client and Fibre Transport
- Troubleshooting SAN Client and Fibre Transport
- About unified logging
About NetBackup SAN Client and Fibre Transport
SAN Client is a NetBackup optional feature that provides high-speed backups and restores of NetBackup clients.
A SAN client is a special NetBackup client that can back up large amounts of data rapidly over a SAN connection rather than a LAN. For example, a database host can benefit from high-speed backups and restores. Fibre Transport is the name of the NetBackup high-speed data transport method that is part of the SAN Client feature.
The backup and restore traffic occurs over Fibre Channel (FC), and the NetBackup server and client administration traffic occurs over the LAN.
For a NetBackup 52xx or 53xx appliance, Fibre Transport also provides high-speed traffic to a NetBackup 5000 series appliance that supports Fibre Transport. The 5000 series appliance functions as the storage host for SAN client backups.
Figure: A SAN Client configuration shows a SAN Client configuration.