Veritas NetBackup™ for VMware Administrator's Guide
- Required tasks: overview
- Notes and prerequisites
- Configure NetBackup communication with VMware
- Adding NetBackup credentials for VMware
- Validating VMware virtualization server certificates in NetBackup
- Configure NetBackup policies for VMware
- VMware backup options
- Exclude Disks tab
- Configure a VMware Intelligent Policy
- Reduce the size of backups
- Back up virtual machines
- Use Accelerator to back up virtual machines
- Restore virtual machines
- Restoring the full VMware virtual machine
- Virtual Machine Recovery dialog boxes (restore to original location)
- Virtual Machine Recovery dialogs boxes (restore to alternate location)
- Restoring VMware virtual machine disks by using Backup, Archive, and Restore
- Restoring VMware virtual machine disks by using NetBackup commands
- Restoring individual VMware virtual machine files
- Browse and search virtual machines for restore
- Restore virtual machines with Instant Recovery
- Use NetBackup for vCloud Director
- Virtual machine recovery dialog boxes for vCloud Director
- Best practices and more information
- Appendix A. NetBackup commands to back up and restore virtual machines
- Using NetBackup commands to create a VMware policy
- Appendix B. Configuring services for NFS on Windows
- About configuring services for NFS on Windows 2012 or 2016 (NetBackup for VMware)
- About configuring services for NFS on Windows 2008 and 2008 R2 (NetBackup for VMware)
- Appendix C. The Reuse VM selection query results option
- Appendix D. Backup of VMware raw devices (RDM)
Conflict between NetBackup and VMware Storage vMotion with vSphere 5.0 or later
To avoid conflicts with Storage vMotion in vSphere 5.0 or later, NetBackup should conduct backups through the vCenter server, not through the ESX host. A backup directly through the ESX server may fail if Storage vMotion simultaneously migrates the virtual machine's files. In addition, the virtual machine's snapshot files may be stranded or other problems with the virtual machine may result. VMware has acknowledged this issue.
If the backup fails, the NetBackup job details contain a message similar to the following:
Error opening the snapshot disks using given transport mode: Status 23.
To back up a virtual machine while its files are in the process of migration, NetBackup must conduct the backup through the vCenter server.
To back up a virtual machine while its files are in the process of migration
- In the NetBackup Administration Console, under Media and Device Management > Credentials > Virtual machine servers, add NetBackup credentials for the vCenter server.
Select a server type of VMware VirtualCenter Server.
- Delete the credentials that are currently defined under the server type VMware ESX server, and add those credentials as type VMware Restore ESX Server.
- Rerun the backup.