Veritas NetBackup™ for VMware Administrator's Guide
- Required tasks: overview
- Notes and prerequisites
- Configure NetBackup communication with VMware
- Adding NetBackup credentials for VMware
- Validating VMware virtualization server certificates in NetBackup
- Configure NetBackup policies for VMware
- VMware backup options
- Exclude Disks tab
- Configure a VMware Intelligent Policy
- Reduce the size of backups
- Back up virtual machines
- Use Accelerator to back up virtual machines
- Restore virtual machines
- Restoring the full VMware virtual machine
- Virtual Machine Recovery dialog boxes (restore to original location)
- Virtual Machine Recovery dialogs boxes (restore to alternate location)
- Restoring VMware virtual machine disks by using Backup, Archive, and Restore
- Restoring VMware virtual machine disks by using NetBackup commands
- Restoring individual VMware virtual machine files
- Browse and search virtual machines for restore
- Restore virtual machines with Instant Recovery
- Use NetBackup for vCloud Director
- Virtual machine recovery dialog boxes for vCloud Director
- Best practices and more information
- Appendix A. NetBackup commands to back up and restore virtual machines
- Using NetBackup commands to create a VMware policy
- Appendix B. Configuring services for NFS on Windows
- About configuring services for NFS on Windows 2012 or 2016 (NetBackup for VMware)
- About configuring services for NFS on Windows 2008 and 2008 R2 (NetBackup for VMware)
- Appendix C. The Reuse VM selection query results option
- Appendix D. Backup of VMware raw devices (RDM)
Automatic virtual machine selection: Task overview
Table: Automatic selection of virtual machines: overview of the tasks
Steps to configure automatic selection
Description and notes
Configure a VMware policy
Use the policy Attributes tab.
Set rules for virtual machine selection in the policy Query Builder
On the policy Clients tab, click .
Choose a host for virtual machine selection (default is the VMware backup host).
To add rules, use the Query Builder drop-down fields.
Test the rules
Click Clients tab. Virtual machines are labeled as included or excluded, based on the rules.in the Query Builder on the
The list of virtual machines is not saved in the Clients tab.
The query rules are also displayed in the Backup Selections tab. The backup selections are pre-set to All_LOCAL_DRIVES (not displayed).
Execute a backup
When the policy executes, NetBackup consults the rules in the Query Builder, creates a list of virtual machines, and backs them up.
Check the backup
To see which virtual machines were backed up, use the Activity Monitor, or run a Virtual Client Summary report in OpsCenter.