Veritas NetBackup™ for VMware Administrator's Guide
- Required tasks: overview
- Notes and prerequisites
- Configure NetBackup communication with VMware
- Adding NetBackup credentials for VMware
- Validating VMware virtualization server certificates in NetBackup
- Configure NetBackup policies for VMware
- VMware backup options
- Exclude Disks tab
- Configure a VMware Intelligent Policy
- Reduce the size of backups
- Back up virtual machines
- Use Accelerator to back up virtual machines
- Restore virtual machines
- Restoring the full VMware virtual machine
- Virtual Machine Recovery dialog boxes (restore to original location)
- Virtual Machine Recovery dialogs boxes (restore to alternate location)
- Restoring VMware virtual machine disks by using Backup, Archive, and Restore
- Restoring VMware virtual machine disks by using NetBackup commands
- Restoring individual VMware virtual machine files
- Browse and search virtual machines for restore
- Restore virtual machines with Instant Recovery
- Use NetBackup for vCloud Director
- Virtual machine recovery dialog boxes for vCloud Director
- Best practices and more information
- Appendix A. NetBackup commands to back up and restore virtual machines
- Using NetBackup commands to create a VMware policy
- Appendix B. Configuring services for NFS on Windows
- About configuring services for NFS on Windows 2012 or 2016 (NetBackup for VMware)
- About configuring services for NFS on Windows 2008 and 2008 R2 (NetBackup for VMware)
- Appendix C. The Reuse VM selection query results option
- Appendix D. Backup of VMware raw devices (RDM)
Restoring VMware virtual machine disks by using Backup, Archive, and Restore
This restore method uses the Backup, Archive, and Restore interface to select the parameters for the restore and to restore the disks.
To restore virtual machine disks
- In the NetBackup Administration Console, select Backup, Archive, and Restore in the left pane.
- In the right pane, select the Restore Files tab.
- Click Actions > Specify NetBackup Machines and Policy Type.
- In the Specify NetBackup Machines and Policy Type dialog box, specify the following and then click OK:
Server to use for backup and restores
The NetBackup master server that directed the backup
Source client for restores
The VMware virtual machine that was backed up.
Click Search VM Clients to search or browse for a virtual machine. Use this option to locate a virtual machine in a large, multi-layered virtual environment.
Or enter the type of name that was selected for the Primary VM identifier option on the policy VMware tab. For example, if the Primary VM identifier option is set to VM host name, enter the virtual machine's host name.
Destination client for restores
This field defaults to the same client selected in the Source client for restores field.
You select the destination client in the wizard, so you do not have to change this field.
Policy type for restores
If any backups for the client are within the specified date range, NetBackup populates the Directory Structure pane and the Contents of... pane with the information about the most recent backup. If nothing appears, select a different date range or a specific backup:
- In the Restore type drop-down menu on the Restore Files tab, select Virtual Disk Restore.
The Directory Structure pane changes to show the client name.
- In the Directory Structure pane, select the client.
- To restore disks from a backup other than the most recent:
On the Actions menu, select Set Date Range > Backup History.
In the Backup History dialog box, select the wanted backup and click OK.
- Click Restore.
The Select Virtual Disks panel of the Restore Virtual Machine Disks wizard appears.
- Complete the wizard panels to restore the virtual disks.