Veritas NetBackup™ for VMware Administrator's Guide
- Required tasks: overview
- Notes and prerequisites
- Configure NetBackup communication with VMware
- Adding NetBackup credentials for VMware
- Validating VMware virtualization server certificates in NetBackup
- Configure NetBackup policies for VMware
- VMware backup options
- Exclude Disks tab
- Configure a VMware Intelligent Policy
- Reduce the size of backups
- Back up virtual machines
- Use Accelerator to back up virtual machines
- Restore virtual machines
- Restoring the full VMware virtual machine
- Virtual Machine Recovery dialog boxes (restore to original location)
- Virtual Machine Recovery dialogs boxes (restore to alternate location)
- Restoring VMware virtual machine disks by using Backup, Archive, and Restore
- Restoring VMware virtual machine disks by using NetBackup commands
- Restoring individual VMware virtual machine files
- Browse and search virtual machines for restore
- Restore virtual machines with Instant Recovery
- Use NetBackup for vCloud Director
- Virtual machine recovery dialog boxes for vCloud Director
- Best practices and more information
- Appendix A. NetBackup commands to back up and restore virtual machines
- Using NetBackup commands to create a VMware policy
- Appendix B. Configuring services for NFS on Windows
- About configuring services for NFS on Windows 2012 or 2016 (NetBackup for VMware)
- About configuring services for NFS on Windows 2008 and 2008 R2 (NetBackup for VMware)
- Appendix C. The Reuse VM selection query results option
- Appendix D. Backup of VMware raw devices (RDM)
Notes and limitations for the backup and restore of VMware tag associations
Tag associations are part of the metadata of the virtual machine. NetBackup considers virtual machine tag association protection a best effort backup. Any tag collection errors are shown in the Activity Monitor for the virtual machine snapshot jobs.
If for any reason NetBackup is unable to back up tag associations, the job completes successfully with a NetBackup Status Code 0. Any failures to retrieve tag associations in the backup are, however, reported in the job details in the Activity Monitor.
vCenter Server 6.0 or later is required.
VMware tag associations are only backed up when you use VMware Intelligent Policies.
NetBackup backs up tag associations with virtual machines. NetBackup does not back up tag associations with other vCenter Server objects, such as datastores or folders.
Tag associations for all virtual machines are retrieved during the discovery job. The tag associations are, however, stored in the backup image for each individual virtual machine. Be aware there is a time difference between the discovery job time and the backup job. If tag associations are changed between these times, the changes are not backed up.
For tag backup to work correctly, the servers that are listed must be at NetBackup version 7.7.3 or later:
Master server, media server, discovery host, and the backup host.
For tag associations to restore correctly, the master server and the recovery host must be at NetBackup 7.7.3 or later.
Backup and restore of tag associations requires the NetBackup Java Runtime Environment (JRE) be installed on the discovery host and the recovery host.
If tag associations of a virtual machine were successfully backed up, then NetBackup attempts to recreate tag associations with the restored virtual machine. If the recovery host version is incompatible, NetBackup completes the recovery of the virtual machine and sets the job status to 0. The recovery job details, however, provide information on the failure to recreate the tag associations.
If tag associations of a virtual machine were not backed up successfully, then NetBackup does not attempt to recreate tag associations with the restored Virtual Machine. NetBackup completes the recovery of the virtual machine and sets the job status to 0. The recovery job details provide information on the failure to collect the tag associations that occurred at the time of backup.
When Replication Director for VMware is used to protect your virtual machines, tag associations are backed up only when Application Consistent protection is enabled. When Application Consistent protection is disabled, NetBackup does not protect tag associations.