Veritas NetBackup™ for VMware Administrator's Guide
- Required tasks: overview
- Notes and prerequisites
- Configure NetBackup communication with VMware
- Adding NetBackup credentials for VMware
- Validating VMware virtualization server certificates in NetBackup
- Configure NetBackup policies for VMware
- VMware backup options
- Exclude Disks tab
- Configure a VMware Intelligent Policy
- Reduce the size of backups
- Back up virtual machines
- Use Accelerator to back up virtual machines
- Restore virtual machines
- Restoring the full VMware virtual machine
- Virtual Machine Recovery dialog boxes (restore to original location)
- Virtual Machine Recovery dialogs boxes (restore to alternate location)
- Restoring VMware virtual machine disks by using Backup, Archive, and Restore
- Restoring VMware virtual machine disks by using NetBackup commands
- Restoring individual VMware virtual machine files
- Browse and search virtual machines for restore
- Restore virtual machines with Instant Recovery
- Use NetBackup for vCloud Director
- Virtual machine recovery dialog boxes for vCloud Director
- Best practices and more information
- Appendix A. NetBackup commands to back up and restore virtual machines
- Using NetBackup commands to create a VMware policy
- Appendix B. Configuring services for NFS on Windows
- About configuring services for NFS on Windows 2012 or 2016 (NetBackup for VMware)
- About configuring services for NFS on Windows 2008 and 2008 R2 (NetBackup for VMware)
- Appendix C. The Reuse VM selection query results option
- Appendix D. Backup of VMware raw devices (RDM)
The IsSet operator in queries
This topic applies to policy configuration for NetBackup for VMware. You can use the Query Builder to enter rules for the automatic selection of VMware virtual machines for backup.
For example: if the Primary VM identifier parameter is set to VM hostname, NetBackup is unable to identify virtual machines for backup that do not have a host name. You can use IsSet to exclude such virtual machines from the backup list.
Table: Examples of queries with the IsSet operator
Query rules with IsSet operator
Effect of the query on virtual machine selection
Cluster Contains "dev"
AND VMDNSName IsSet
INCLUDED: Any virtual machine in a cluster that has a name that contains the string "dev" if the virtual machine also has a VMware DNS name.
EXCLUDED: Any virtual machines that do not have a VMware DNS Name.
Without VMDNSName IsSet in this query, virtual machines without a DNS name cannot be excluded. They would be listed as FAILED.
Displayname Contains "prod"
AND VMHostName IsSet
INCLUDED: Any virtual machine with a display name that contains the string "prod" if the virtual machine also has a host name.
EXCLUDED: Any virtual machines that do not have host names.
Without VMHostName IsSet in this query, virtual machines without a host name cannot be excluded. They would be listed as FAILED.
The policy's Primary VM identifier parameter has an important effect on which virtual machines NetBackup can back up. This parameter affects the test query results.