Veritas NetBackup™ for VMware Administrator's Guide
- Required tasks: overview
- Notes and prerequisites
- Configure NetBackup communication with VMware
- Adding NetBackup credentials for VMware
- Validating VMware virtualization server certificates in NetBackup
- Configure NetBackup policies for VMware
- VMware backup options
- Exclude Disks tab
- Configure a VMware Intelligent Policy
- Reduce the size of backups
- Back up virtual machines
- Use Accelerator to back up virtual machines
- Restore virtual machines
- Restoring the full VMware virtual machine
- Virtual Machine Recovery dialog boxes (restore to original location)
- Virtual Machine Recovery dialogs boxes (restore to alternate location)
- Restoring VMware virtual machine disks by using Backup, Archive, and Restore
- Restoring VMware virtual machine disks by using NetBackup commands
- Restoring individual VMware virtual machine files
- Browse and search virtual machines for restore
- Restore virtual machines with Instant Recovery
- Use NetBackup for vCloud Director
- Virtual machine recovery dialog boxes for vCloud Director
- Best practices and more information
- Appendix A. NetBackup commands to back up and restore virtual machines
- Using NetBackup commands to create a VMware policy
- Appendix B. Configuring services for NFS on Windows
- About configuring services for NFS on Windows 2012 or 2016 (NetBackup for VMware)
- About configuring services for NFS on Windows 2008 and 2008 R2 (NetBackup for VMware)
- Appendix C. The Reuse VM selection query results option
- Appendix D. Backup of VMware raw devices (RDM)
Exclude Disks tab
In the Change Policy dialog box, the Exclude Disks tab appears for policies of the VMware policy type. These options determine the kind of disks on the virtual machine that are excluded from the backup. These options can reduce the size of the backup, but should be used with care. These options are intended only for the virtual machines that have multiple virtual disks.
The following options appear on the Exclude Disks tab.
Table: Options on the Exclude Disks tab of the policy
No disks excluded
Backs up all virtual disks that are configured for the virtual machine.
Exclude boot disk
The virtual machine's boot disk (for example the C drive) is not included in the backup. Any other disks (such as D) are backed up. Consider this option if you have another means of recreating the boot disk, such as a virtual machine template for boot drives.
A virtual machine that is restored from this backup cannot start. Data files are available in the restored data disks.
Exclude all data disks
The virtual machine's data disks (for example the D drive) are not included in the backup for this policy. Only the boot disk is backed up. Consider this option only if you have a different policy that backs up the data disks.
When the virtual machine is restored from the backup, the virtual machine data for the data disk may be missing or incomplete.
Perform custom attribute based exclusion
Exclude disks by a VMware Custom Attribute that is applied to a virtual machine. The VMware Custom Attribute identifies the disks that you want to exclude from backups. If you select this option, also enter the name of the Custom Attribute. NetBackup then excludes the disks that are defined in that attribute. The attribute must have comma separated values of device controllers for the disks to be excluded. For example:
The default value is NB_DISK_EXCLUDE_LIST. You can use this value as the custom attribute or choose your own value.
Custom Attribute based disk exclusion requires that you enter in NetBackup the credentials for the vCenter server or servers that host the VMs. ESXi server credentials are not sufficient.
Your VMware administrator must use a VMware interface to apply the custom attribute to the disks that you want to exclude from the virtual server. The Virtual Disk Exclusion wizard of the NetBackup plug-ins for vSphere provides a method to add a Custom Attribute to a virtual machine or virtual machines. For more information, see the NetBackup Plug-in for VMware vSphere Web Client Guide or the NetBackup Plug-in for VMware vSphere Client (HTML5) Guide available through the following URL:
Specific disks to be excluded
Exclude a specific disk by selecting the disk controller type and device numbers that represent the virtual device node of the disk. Then click. NetBackup adds the controller ID to the list of nodes to be excluded. Repeat for each disk that you want to exclude.
To delete a disk from the list of disks to exclude, select the disk controller type and device numbers, and then click. The list is a comma-separated collection of controller IDs.
Alternatively, you can add or delete specific disks by editing the contents of the text box in which the excluded disks appear. Wildcard characters are not supported.
NetBackup does not support the exclude disks options for Replication Director backups.