Veritas NetBackup™ for SAP Administrator's Guide
- Introduction to NetBackup for SAP
- Introduction to NetBackup SAP HANA
- Installing NetBackup for SAP
- Installing NetBackup for SAP HANA
- Configuring NetBackup for SAP
- About configuring a backup policy for SAP
- NetBackup for SAP backup scripts
- About SAP configuration files
- Configuring NetBackup for SAP HANA
- Configuring the master server for NetBackup SAP HANA
- Configuring the NetBackup client
- Configuring the SAP HANA Agent
- Performing backups and restores of SAP
- Using BRTools to start an SAP backup (for Oracle database only)
- Performing an SAP archive
- Restarting failed NetBackup for SAP backups and restores
- Restarting NetBackup for SAP backups
- Restarting SAP database restores on Oracle
- Performing backups and restores of SAP HANA
- NetBackup for SAP with Snapshot Client
- How the NetBackup for SAP Snapshot Client works
- About configuring Snapshot Client with NetBackup for SAP
- About configuring NetBackup for SAP block-level incremental backups on UNIX
- Configuring policies for BLI backups with NetBackup for SAP
- About NetBackup for SAP restores of volumes and file systems using snapshot rollback
- NetBackup for SAP on MaxDB databases
- Using NetBackup for SAP on a MaxDB database to perform backups and restores
- Troubleshooting NetBackup for SAP and SAP HANA
- NetBackup debug logs and reports
- sapdba logs and messages (Oracle-based SAP environments only)
- About troubleshooting NetBackup for SAP HANA
- Appendix A. backint command line interface
- Appendix B. Input and output files for SAP HANA
- Appendix C. backint -i in_file contents
- Appendix D. backint -o out_file contents
- Appendix E. NetBackup for SAP environment variables for backint
- Appendix F. NetBackup for SAP configuration or bp.conf file settings
- Appendix G. Parameters used in initSID.utl
- sort_backup_type <value>
- sort_restore_type <value>
- Appendix H. Configuring split mirror backups
- Appendix I. Register authorized locations
Configuring a snapshot policy for NetBackup for SAP
To configure a snapshot policy for NetBackup for SAP
- Open the policy you want to configure.
- Click on the Attributes tab.
- Select the SAP policy type.
- Select a policy storage unit from the Policy storage list.
- Click Perform snapshot backups.
- (Optional) Click Options to choose a snapshot method.
By default NetBackup chooses a snapshot method for you. To choose a snapshot method, click auto (the default) or click one of the methods that are presented in the list.
The snapshot method that you must use depends on your hardware environment and software environment. Only certain snapshot methods are supported in certain environments. See the NetBackup Snapshot Client Administrator's Guide or the supported platforms matrix on the Veritas Support website for more information.
You can configure only one snapshot method per policy. For example, assume that you want one snapshot method for clients a, b, and c, and a different method for clients d, e, and f. Then you need to create two policies for each group of clients and select one method for each policy.
- (Optional) Select Perform off-host backup.
By default, the client that hosts the database performs the backup. If you want to reduce the I/O processing load on the client that hosts the database, specify an alternate client to perform the backup.
- (Conditional) Select an off-host backup method.
The following off-host backup methods are available:
Use Alternate client (UNIX and Windows clients)
If you select Alternate client, also specify the name of the client to perform the backup. This option may require additional configuration. The alternate client must be a client that shares the disk array.
Use Data mover (UNIX clients only).
- Click the Schedules tab.
- Click New.
- Configure an Automatic schedule for the database files.
These files are backed up in brbackup phase 1.
- (Conditional) In the Schedules dialog box, in the Instant Recovery group, select Snapshots only.
This setting suppresses NetBackup's default behavior, which is to copy the snapshot to a storage unit. When you select Snapshots only, NetBackup creates the on-disk snapshot copy of the database, but it does not copy the snapshot to a storage unit. The on-disk snapshot becomes the only backup copy. Note that the on-disk snapshot is not considered to be a replacement for a traditional backup.
- Configure an Application Backup schedule that backs up profile and configuration files, which are backed up in brbackup phase 2.
NetBackup for SAP copies the profile files or configuration files to the storage unit you select.
- On the Clients tab, specify the clients to be included in this policy.
- On the Backup Selections tab, specify a backup script.
- Configure other attributes and add any additional schedules and backup selections.