Veritas NetBackup™ for SAP Administrator's Guide
- Introduction to NetBackup for SAP
- Introduction to NetBackup SAP HANA
- Installing NetBackup for SAP
- Installing NetBackup for SAP HANA
- Configuring NetBackup for SAP
- About configuring a backup policy for SAP
- NetBackup for SAP backup scripts
- About SAP configuration files
- Configuring NetBackup for SAP HANA
- Configuring the master server for NetBackup SAP HANA
- Configuring the NetBackup client
- Configuring the SAP HANA Agent
- Performing backups and restores of SAP
- Using BRTools to start an SAP backup (for Oracle database only)
- Performing an SAP archive
- Restarting failed NetBackup for SAP backups and restores
- Restarting NetBackup for SAP backups
- Restarting SAP database restores on Oracle
- Performing backups and restores of SAP HANA
- NetBackup for SAP with Snapshot Client
- How the NetBackup for SAP Snapshot Client works
- About configuring Snapshot Client with NetBackup for SAP
- About configuring NetBackup for SAP block-level incremental backups on UNIX
- Configuring policies for BLI backups with NetBackup for SAP
- About NetBackup for SAP restores of volumes and file systems using snapshot rollback
- NetBackup for SAP on MaxDB databases
- Using NetBackup for SAP on a MaxDB database to perform backups and restores
- Troubleshooting NetBackup for SAP and SAP HANA
- NetBackup debug logs and reports
- sapdba logs and messages (Oracle-based SAP environments only)
- About troubleshooting NetBackup for SAP HANA
- Appendix A. backint command line interface
- Appendix B. Input and output files for SAP HANA
- Appendix C. backint -i in_file contents
- Appendix D. backint -o out_file contents
- Appendix E. NetBackup for SAP environment variables for backint
- Appendix F. NetBackup for SAP configuration or bp.conf file settings
- Appendix G. Parameters used in initSID.utl
- sort_backup_type <value>
- sort_restore_type <value>
- Appendix H. Configuring split mirror backups
- Appendix I. Register authorized locations
SAP tools overview
The SAP environment consists of many modules and applications. One component is the SAP tools. You can use the SAP tools whether or not you also use RMAN.
Table: SAP tools software lists the software that is included in the SAP tools.
Table: SAP tools software
sapdba is a menu-driven utility, with menus designed to reflect the user's point of view.
sapdba provides easy access to brbackup, brarchive, and brrestore for database backups and restores. The tool can restore a backup of an entire database or reset the database to a previous state.
This command brings database servers online or offline, checks the status of SAP files, and places database tablespaces into BACKUP mode to guarantee their data consistency. The brbackup command provides online and offline backups. It also keeps a profile and log of each backup.
brbackup uses the NetBackup software, through NetBackup for SAP, for the following actions:
This command archives Oracle offline redo log files by communicating with the NetBackup for SAP backint interface. These files are copied by Oracle in its archiving directory. The brarchive command ensures that duplicates of these logs are available and that original files are not deleted prematurely. This command also keeps a profile and log of each archive.
This command recovers database data files, control files, and online redo log files through the NetBackup for SAP backint interface. The brrestore command ensures that sufficient space is available before restoring these files, and it removes the files that are overwritten during the recovery. This command also provides a query mode.
This script is a small script that contains SAP commands such as brbackup and brrestore.