Veritas NetBackup™ for SAP Administrator's Guide
- Introduction to NetBackup for SAP
- Introduction to NetBackup SAP HANA
- Installing NetBackup for SAP
- Installing NetBackup for SAP HANA
- Configuring NetBackup for SAP
- About configuring a backup policy for SAP
- NetBackup for SAP backup scripts
- About SAP configuration files
- Configuring NetBackup for SAP HANA
- Configuring the master server for NetBackup SAP HANA
- Configuring the NetBackup client
- Configuring the SAP HANA Agent
- Performing backups and restores of SAP
- Using BRTools to start an SAP backup (for Oracle database only)
- Performing an SAP archive
- Restarting failed NetBackup for SAP backups and restores
- Restarting NetBackup for SAP backups
- Restarting SAP database restores on Oracle
- Performing backups and restores of SAP HANA
- NetBackup for SAP with Snapshot Client
- How the NetBackup for SAP Snapshot Client works
- About configuring Snapshot Client with NetBackup for SAP
- About configuring NetBackup for SAP block-level incremental backups on UNIX
- Configuring policies for BLI backups with NetBackup for SAP
- About NetBackup for SAP restores of volumes and file systems using snapshot rollback
- NetBackup for SAP on MaxDB databases
- Using NetBackup for SAP on a MaxDB database to perform backups and restores
- Troubleshooting NetBackup for SAP and SAP HANA
- NetBackup debug logs and reports
- sapdba logs and messages (Oracle-based SAP environments only)
- About troubleshooting NetBackup for SAP HANA
- Appendix A. backint command line interface
- Appendix B. Input and output files for SAP HANA
- Appendix C. backint -i in_file contents
- Appendix D. backint -o out_file contents
- Appendix E. NetBackup for SAP environment variables for backint
- Appendix F. NetBackup for SAP configuration or bp.conf file settings
- Appendix G. Parameters used in initSID.utl
- sort_backup_type <value>
- sort_restore_type <value>
- Appendix H. Configuring split mirror backups
- Appendix I. Register authorized locations
About the types of NetBackup for SAP BLI backups
NetBackup performs BLI backups with Automatic Full Backup, Automatic Differential Incremental Backup, and Automatic Cumulative Incremental Backup schedules.
NetBackup for SAP supports BLI backups only through backint. If you attempt to perform a BLI backup through RMAN proxy, the agent issues the following message:
BLIB with RMAN proxy is not a valid use case. Perform BLIB through backint.
NetBackup for SAP checks that a full backup was performed before it proceeds with an incremental backup. If the NetBackup scheduler or user initiates an incremental backup, and NetBackup for SAP finds no record of a full backup using the same policy, it performs a full backup.
To ensure that it has a proper set of images to restore, NetBackup performs a full backup when it encounters the following situations:
If NetBackup does not have a valid full backup image for the same policy in its database. For example, this situation can occur if images were expired.
If a new file was added to or deleted from the list of files for an incremental backup.
If the number of backup streams that is specified has changed from the previous backup.
NetBackup for SAP always initiates a full backup under these conditions, even if you want to perform an incremental backup.