Veritas NetBackup™ for NDMP Administrator's Guide
- Introduction to NetBackup for NDMP
- About NetBackup for NDMP
- Types of NDMP backup
- About assigning tape drives to different hosts
- Installation Notes for NetBackup for NDMP
- Configuring NDMP backup to NDMP-attached devices
- About Media and Device Management configuration
- About creating an NDMP policy
- Backup selection options for an NDMP policy
- About enabling or disabling DAR
- Configuring NDMP backup to NetBackup media servers (remote NDMP)
- Configuring NDMP DirectCopy
- About NDMP DirectCopy
- Using NDMP DirectCopy to duplicate a backup image
- Accelerator for NDMP
- Remote NDMP and disk devices
- Using the Shared Storage Option (SSO)
- Backup and restore procedures
- About NetBackup for NDMP logs
- NetBackup for NDMP troubleshooting suggestions
- About robot tests
- Using NetBackup for NDMP scripts
Troubleshooting Direct Access Recovery (DAR) with NetBackup for NDMP
Note the following points when using Direct Access Recovery (DAR):
DAR can be used when restoring NetBackup 4.5 or later backups. Starting with NetBackup 4.5, NetBackup stores the required DAR offset information on each backup.
Backups must have been performed with the NetBackup catalog set to binary mode. If backups were made with the catalog set to ASCII mode, restores cannot use DAR. ASCII mode did not store the required DAR offset information on each backup. Note that all backups that were made before NetBackup 4.5 used ASCII catalog mode.
Starting with NetBackup 6.0, all backups are in binary mode.
To use DAR with NetBackup, the NDMP host you want to restore must support DAR. Some NDMP host vendors do not currently support DAR.
The following table lists the messages that may appear in the unified logs for ndmpagent (originator ID 134) on the NetBackup media server. These messages are also written to the progress log.
Table: DAR log messages
Data host does not support DAR recovery
The current NDMP host does not support DAR.
DAR disabled - continuing restore without DAR
DAR information is not available for the file.
DAR disabled - backup was performed before NB 4.5
The DAR feature can be used to restore the backups that NetBackup 4.5GA or later made. Starting with NetBackup 4.5GA, NetBackup stores the required DAR offset information on each backup. For pre-4.5GA NetBackup backups, restores cannot use DAR because the pre-4.5 versions did not store DAR offset information.
DAR disabled - NDMP host did not provide DAR info during backup
The backup was performed with an NDMP host version that does not support DAR. Ask the NDMP host vendor if a later NAS software version is available that supports DAR.
DAR disabled - Exceeded optimal DAR parameters for this image size
NetBackup determined that the restore would take longer with DAR than without it.
DAR disabled - Directory DAR not supported
DAR is automatically disabled when a restore job specifies a directory to restore. DAR can be used to restore files, but not to restoring directories.
DAR disabled by host parameters
DAR was disabled on the Master or Media Server Properties dialog box.