Enterprise Vault™ Classification using the Microsoft File Classification Infrastructure
- About this guide
- Getting started
- How Enterprise Vault caches the items that it submits for classification
- Setting up the classification properties
- Configuring your classification rules
- Defining and applying classification policies
- Running classification in test mode
- Publishing classification properties and rules across your site
- Using classification with smart partitions
- Appendix A. Enterprise Vault properties for use in classification rules
- Appendix B. PowerShell cmdlets for use with classification
- Appendix C. Monitoring and troubleshooting
Applying retention plans to your Enterprise Vault archives
After you have defined a classification policy and associated it with a retention plan, you can apply the plan to one or more archives. The Administration Console provides many different ways to do this, as you can associate a retention plan with any of the following features:
An Exchange, Domino, or IMAP provisioning group
An Exchange journal archive, Domino journal archive, or SMTP archive
An FSA volume or folder policy
A public folder target
A SharePoint target or site collection
Mailboxes that you manually enable for archiving by running the Enable Mailbox wizard
The documentation for each of these features describes how to apply a retention plan to it. You can also apply a retention plan to a selected archive with the PowerShell cmdlet Set-EVArchive. See the PowerShell Cmdlets guide for more information.
After you have associated the retention plan with the required feature, you must run the appropriate archiving task to apply it to the target archives. For instance, this is the Client Access Provisioning task in the case of an IMAP provisioning group or the SharePoint Archiving task in the case of a SharePoint site collection.
As an example, the following procedure describes how to choose a retention plan when you set up a new Exchange provisioning group.
To associate a retention plan with an Exchange provisioning group
- In the left pane of the Administration Console, expand the hierarchy until the Targets container is visible.
- Expand the Exchange domain.
- Right-click the Provisioning Groups container, and then point to New and click Provisioning Group.
The New Provisioning Group wizard appears.
- Work though the wizard until you reach the page that prompts you for the required retention category or retention plan.
- Click Select to open the Retention Selection dialog box.
- Select the required retention plan, or click New to create a new one.
- Work through the remaining pages of the wizard.
- Run the Exchange Provisioning task to apply the retention plan to the target archives.
- Synchronize the mailboxes. To do this, open the properties dialog box for the Exchange Mailbox Archiving task and then, on the Synchronization tab, click Synchronize.