Enterprise Vault™ Classification using the Microsoft File Classification Infrastructure
- About this guide
- Getting started
- How Enterprise Vault caches the items that it submits for classification
- Setting up the classification properties
- Configuring your classification rules
- Defining and applying classification policies
- Running classification in test mode
- Publishing classification properties and rules across your site
- Using classification with smart partitions
- Appendix A. Enterprise Vault properties for use in classification rules
- Appendix B. PowerShell cmdlets for use with classification
- Appendix C. Monitoring and troubleshooting
Associating classification policies with retention plans
A retention plan provides the means to assign a classification policy to your Enterprise Vault archives. You associate each classification policy with one or more retention plans and apply each plan to one or more archives. Enterprise Vault then processes the items in the archives according to the associated classification policy. For instructions on how to set up retention plans, see the Administrator's Guide.
The following procedure describes how to use the Administration Console to associate a classification policy with a retention plan. However, you can also perform the same activity with PowerShell cmdlets.
To associate a classification policy with a retention plan
- In the left pane of the Enterprise Vault Administration Console, expand the tree view until the Policies container is visible.
- Expand the Policies container and then expand the Retention & Classification container.
- In both cases, the classification feature overrides the retention plan when it comes to assigning retention categories to items.
Do one of the following:
If you have yet to create any retention plans, right-click the Plans container, and then point to New and click Plan.
The New Retention Plan wizard appears. As part of the procedure for creating the plan, you must select the Classify items option and then select the required classification policy.
To associate a classification policy with an existing retention plan, click the Plans container and then double-click the required plan at the right.
The Retention Plan Properties dialog box appears. The options to classify items and select the required classification policy are on the Archive Defaults tab of this dialog box.