Veritas NetBackup™ for NDMP Administrator's Guide
- Introduction to NetBackup for NDMP
- About NetBackup for NDMP
- Types of NDMP backup
- About assigning tape drives to different hosts
- Installation Notes for NetBackup for NDMP
- Configuring NDMP backup to NDMP-attached devices
- About Media and Device Management configuration
- About creating an NDMP policy
- Backup selection options for an NDMP policy
- About enabling or disabling DAR
- Configuring NDMP backup to NetBackup media servers (remote NDMP)
- Configuring NDMP DirectCopy
- About NDMP DirectCopy
- Using NDMP DirectCopy to duplicate a backup image
- Accelerator for NDMP
- Remote NDMP and disk devices
- Using the Shared Storage Option (SSO)
- Backup and restore procedures
- About NetBackup for NDMP logs
- NetBackup for NDMP troubleshooting suggestions
- About robot tests
- Using NetBackup for NDMP scripts
About appropriate host selection for NetApp cDOT backup policies
When configuring a backup policy to protect NetApp cDOT systems, use either the cluster-managment LIF or the data LIF. Consider the following when using the cluster-management LIF as the backup policy client.
Everything is cataloged under the cluster-management LIF.
You only have to validate the cluster-management LIF.
It is easier to back up everything using a few policies.
If the cluster is in use by multiple departments in the same organization, it may be difficult to isolate the data between divisions. This may also be a security concern for some organizations if they want to share data between divisions.
There is a limited granularity in the choice of volume pools and destination storage.
Finding the appropriate data may be more difficult at the time of restore.
Consider the following when using the data LIF as the backup policy client.
Everything is cataloged under the data LIF.
If the cluster is in use by multiple departments in the same organization, it is very easy to isolate data between divisions.
Data from different divisions can go to different volume pools and destination storage.
Finding the appropriate data is easier at the time of restore.
You need to add credentials for each data LIF.
You need multiple policies to backup up the entire cluster.