Veritas NetBackup™ Release Notes
- About NetBackup 8.3
- New features, enhancements, and changes
- NetBackup 8.3 new features, changes, and enhancements
- Operational notes
- NetBackup installation and upgrade operational notes
- NetBackup administration and general operational notes
- NetBackup administration interface operational notes
- NetBackup Bare Metal Restore operational notes
- NetBackup Cloud operational notes
- NetBackup with Veritas CloudPoint operational notes
- NetBackup database and application agent operational notes
- NetBackup internationalization and localization operational notes
- NetBackup for NDMP operational notes
- NetBackup Snapshot Client operational notes
- NetBackup virtualization operational notes
- Appendix A. About SORT for NetBackup Users
- Appendix B. NetBackup installation requirements
- Appendix C. NetBackup compatibility requirements
- Appendix D. Other NetBackup documentation and related documents
Enhancements to Universal Shares support
The following enhancements to the support of universal shares are new in NetBackup 8.3:
Dedicated Universal Share policy - Configuring the Universal Share Protection Point is easier with a new Universal Share policy type.
Central web UI configuration support - Configuring and managing the Universal Share can now be performed from the NetBackup web UI. Accessing two separate interfaces is no longer required for Universal Share management. See Create a Universal Share in the NetBackup Web UI Administrator's Guide for more information.
Quotas - This feature allows the NetBackup administrator the ability to limit the amount of data that is ingested into each individual share. In this way, the amount of storage within MSDP can be protected and managed. The quota limit is based on the front-end terabyte measure of the storage ingested into the share.
Support for software-only NetBackup deployments - The Universal Share is fully supported in a NetBackup software-only (also know as Build Your Own or BYO) deployment scenario.
Active Directory (AD) integration - User access to the Universal Share can be managed using Active Directory permissions.
High Availability (HA) Appliance - The Universal Share is now fully supported with the NetBackup Appliance HA option. If a node fails in an HA configuration the Universal Share will automatically failover to the surviving node.
Scalability enhancements - The Universal Share now supports up to 5 million files per share. The already fast Protection Point performance has been improved as well.
New APIs - Besides an API for provisioning a Universal Share Projection Point, there is a new API that enable a Universal Share policy to be remotely initiated. This is especially handy for database administrators who want to script the Protection Point as part of their database dump script. Refer to the NetBackup 8.3 API reference documentation on SORT or on your master server:
For more information, see About Universal Shares in the NetBackup Administrator's Guide, Volume I.