Veritas NetBackup™ Appliance Security Guide
- About the NetBackup appliance Security Guide
- User authentication
- About user authentication on the NetBackup appliance
- About configuring user authentication
- About user name and password specifications
- User authorization
- Intrusion prevention and intrusion detection systems
- Log files
- Operating system security
- Data security
- Web security
- Network security
- Call Home security
- About AutoSupport
- About Call Home
- About SNMP
- Remote Management Module (RMM) I security
- STIG and FIPS conformance
- Appendix A. Security release content
Running SDCS in managed mode on the NetBackup appliance
The SDCS implementation on the appliance can operate in an unmanaged mode or a managed mode. In managed mode, an external SDCS server is used to communicate with and manage the SDCS agent on one or more appliances. The SDCS server uses the same IPS and IDS policies that are used in managed mode. You can download the SDCS policies from the NetBackup Appliance Web Console.
Managed mode is recommended for use only by security administrators or by existing SDCS customers who have in-depth knowledge of SDCS.
Benefits of using the managed mode:
Helps to provide separate tools that cater to the backup administrator role and the security administrator role.
Provides centralized security management of multiple appliances using a single SDCS server and console.
Provides the ability to archive and export logs.
Provides a common console for monitoring, reporting, and setting up alerts.
Extends the IPS and IDS policies on top of Symantec baseline to meet your data center standards.
To configure the appliance in SDCS managed mode
- Ensure that your SDCS console is available to connect to the SDCS server and that the server is available to connect to the appliance.
If you need the SDCS console and server software, you can download them from https://my.veritas.com.
- Download the IPS and IDS policies from the appliance and import them using the SDCS console. The policies are available for download directly from the NetBackup Appliance Web Console under Monitor > SDCS Events.
- Connect the appliance to the SDCS server. You can connect to the SDCS server from the NetBackup Appliance Web Console under Monitor > SDCS Events or from the NetBackup Appliance Shell Menu using under Monitor > SDCS.
- Use the SDCS console to apply the IPS and IDS policies to the connected appliance.